First Triple ever.(photos)

CLB

I met up with a guy that I had met on another message board today and we went out to do some calling. The day looked promising with light winds and fresh snow. We called a few times in the morning and got nothing. Just before noon we had one come in to the call and stop and sit down about 300 yards out. He did not present a good shot and would not come in. He ended up turning around and walking away. We called one more time just after lunch and got nothing again. The day was starting to become a little frustrating. We had seen a few coyotes in the distance but nothing would come in and had a truck drive up on us at one stand. We were moving to a new area on a trail through a large community pasture when we spotted four bull elk. Elk do not typically live in our area of the province because it is very open with no cover or trees around.(there is a small herd of about 50 in the area). We decided to put a stalk on them to try and get a photo. I got a couple of long distance photos of them(see below). After this the day got better. We were driving to a spot where I have had success before. As we were driving down the trail we spotted two coyotes off the side of the trail. Kim got out of the truck and ran to a rock for a rest. The one coyote was about 350 yards out and decided to stop for one last look. He dropped him on the spot with one shot from his .25-06. We move to our next stand and called but only saw one off in the distance that would not come in. We moved about a mile north to some alkali lakes and this is when it got good. We left the electronic call in the truck and Kim used one of his hand calls this time. A couple of minutes into the stand I spotted a coyote coming in from the south west at a steady trot and Kim spotted one farther out coming in from the west. When the first one was close enough I shot him at about 50 yards. The second one took off to the north. We then spotted another coming in from the west. It came in and stopped in some brush where we could not see it. I then saw a fourth coming in from the west. He came in and stopped on a hill about 150 yards in front of us. He looked to his left and we then noticed the other coyote coming out of the bush. It was on my side and Kim would have to shoot across my lap so I told him I would take it and he should concentrate on the one out front. When the one on my side popped its head over a small rise at about 20 yards I dropped him and then Kim took a crack at the fourth. It was still standing on the hill 150 yards out. He missed and it still stood there so I fired and dropped it. I didn't figure it was going to stick around too long. It must have been a pretty dumb coyote to not move after hearing two shots and not moving before it was hit. That is the first triple I have ever taken and it was a great way to end the day. Kim's calling did the trick and I guess we should have been using that call all day. Sorry about the length of this story. Here are the photos.
Here is Kim with his long shot coyote
ACF2C20%2Ejpg

Here I am with the triple.
camcoyotes1%2Ejpg

Here are the two largest bulls that we saw
elk1%2D1%2Ejpg

CLB

[This message has been edited by CLB (edited 12-22-2001).]

Way to go good calling good shooting and great pics.

------------------
Ray
"Any bad day huntin' is bettern any good day workin'"

"If they run they will only die tired"

Wooooweee! WOW, a triple, congratulations!
What a fine day's calling and shooting there CLB. That first coyote you fellows got is a mighty fine looking specimin! Excellent color and pretty big to boot. The other three don't look to bad either. Those elk look like some keepers too.

What part of Saskatchewan are you from? I get up to Estevan and Main Prize Park for golfing several times every summer. I also do some serious coyote and fox calling along your southern border around Fortuna, ND.

CLB, beautiful pictures. I bet it's cold where your standing. Nice bull elk. Good shootin and thanks much for the pictures.

Silverfox

I am closer to the west side of Saskatchewan. I live in Swift Current. If you are not sure where that is it is about 2 1/2 hours west of Regina along the #1 highway. We are about 8 hours from Estevan. With triple the one coyote I shot was pretty small and the other two were medium sized. I shot a single female from the same spot about a month and a half ago that I would think weighed as much as two of these combined, she was huge.

CLB

CLB

Congrats on the good calling, and great shooting my friend.

Merry Christmas!

------------------
Steve

----------

My guns name is Rex, cuz when it touches one it wrecks there freaking day!

CLB I hunt with a friend from Turner, MT. We hunt right up on your Sask. border, and those hi-line pale coyotes are some of the best in the world. Good job, and great pic's. Thanks.

Back