CZ 527 Varmint .223 Load Data (1 in 9 twist)

CZshooter

I recently made up my first reloads. It was great fun. Here is some info on what i did. I hope others can share info and help me dial in a load that this gun likes. Maybe someone already has data they can post.

Load #1:

Bullet:
Hornady V-Max 50 Grain
Powder:
28 Grains Winchester 748
Primer:
Federal GM205 small rifle magnum
COAL:
Average Chronographed Speed:
3493 fps
Best 100 yard Group:
Average 100 yard Groups:
Over an inch

My thoughts:
I am not sure on the COAL for this gun. I think I might have these too long. This load didn't group well. Even though it was loaded a couple of grains below the max listed in the Speer manual, this load was pretty hot as seen in the speed.
There could be 4 issues here. I used a small rifle magnum primer (suggested by the guy at the reloading shop). COAL might be too long. Might be loaded too hot. And finally, this gun might not like 50 grain bullets. It does like 40 grain Wichester Varmint Factory loads, which I find strange for a 1 in 9 twist barrel.

Load #2:

Bullet:
Hornady V-Max 60 Grain
Powder:
25 Grains of IMR 4895
Primer:
Federal GM205 small rifle magnum
COAL:
2954 fps
Best 100 yard Group:
Average 100 yard Groups:
Over two inches

My thoughts.
Again COAL might be an issue. This like the other load didn't group well. This load according to the chronographed speeds was not real fast for this bullet. This gun with a 1 in 9 twist should like heavier bullets. Maybe I need to go even bigger with the bullets.

I am a little puzzled and looking for suggestions. I sure had fun experimenting with my first loads.

Chances are COAL is not your major problem. Usually isn't. Your just beginning to experiment.

For starters----I'd select a bullet in the 40 to 50 grain range and stay with it, use standard rifle primers, and work up loads starting about 4 grains below maximum and increasing by 1/2gr increments. If you find a level that has better groups, then try .2 gr increments around that level to see if the gun really likes one velocity over another. (or some would say use the ladder test but few of us have good 200 yd ranges and no wind, but that's an option)

Keep all your reloading processes as consistant as you can--all the same length of brass, all loaded to the same length, all the same manufacturer and lot of brass, if you turn necks--turn them all the same, weigh all the powder on the same scale to the same degree of care. Things like that.

At the range use your best technique and be consistant.

I have the same gun, the best load I have come up with so far is 25grns of xmr2015 and a 50grn vmax seated at 2.920 measured with a stoney point device. It produces a ragged hole, and around 3300fps give or take. This gun will shoot just about anything well, so I am looking for a more high performance load, I want 3500fps with a 50vmax. I think w748 will be my next try

the 60 vmax does not shoot very well in either of my cz 223's or even my ruger 22-250, infact I haven't heard of anyone getting stunning accuracy from the 60 vamx, 50blitzkings and 52smks also shoot well for me, I even bought some cheap 50grn midway dog town bullets and produced a 3/4 moa group.

1:9" twist should shoot 50 to 70 grain pills with awesome accuracy!!
Try working up your loads using the "Ladder Method" it will really narrow down which loads work the best in your rifle.
What you need to do is tune the barrel oscillation/vibration to the point where the bullet exits the muzzle when the barrel is at it's most stable point, which is when the oscillation/vibration is back at the chamber rather than at muzzle!!
I have a 2005 Cz-527 Kevlar .223 w/1:9" twist that I could not get to group worth a sh*t with any of my proven .223 loads. Someone one on this forum suggested I try the "Ladder Method" to find the most accurate load for my particular rifle. As it turns out.., the "Ladder Method" was the best advise I have ever received! This Method is somewhat labor intensive, but well worth the time!! With not too much efort, my Cz-527 Kevlar is now the most accurate center fire rifle I have ever owned!!

http://home.snafu.de/l.moeller/Englisch/Laddertest.htm

Scroll down to "Ladder Test" and then to "Incremental Load Development Method"

Well worth the effort!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Since tuning it up...., I've made good solid kills on Coyote's out to 444 yds./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

It's good to be at the top of the food chain!!
Especially when your swinging a big fu*king long range hammer!!

Bullet:
Hornady V-Max 55 Grain
Powder:
27.2 Grains Varget
Primer:
Federal Small Rifle
COAL:
not checked I bet is is around 3200 fps
Best 100 yard Group:
5 shots fit under a dime and were one ragged hole.

I did use the the Lee Factory Crimp die to finish these off.

Also tested some Speer TNT 55 grain bullets. Those didn't work out so well and shot 4 inches to the left of the V-Max and did not group that well.

Back