Bushmaster upper and lower loose?

If it makes you feel better and makes you more confident in your rifle, it couldn't hurt. Really makes no practical difference in accuracy though.

Quote:
My brand new Bushmaster Predator's upper and lower seem to pretty loose.

Congratulations. Looks like you got a good one.

Dear JeremyKS:

Now this is not national match at Camp Perry so evaluate accordingly!

While going through basic training at Ft. Knox in 1982, I was issued a Harrington and Richardson M16A1. Being a basic training "pool" weapon, it recieved more than its fair share of abuse. The upper and lower were so loose that the weapon rattled all the time! No Kidding at all! The reality of the accuracy of the weapon was that I qualified Expert right handed. While I was qualifying, the range NCOIC realized that I was left eye dominant by my actions and made me immediately go back through in the next firing order and qualify shooting left handed. I also shot Expert left handed.

My point being, that is the most loose weapon I was ever issued. But that H & R was a shooter! It has been my experience that the tightness of fit between the upper receiver and the lower receiver has little impact on accuracy.

Redhound80

My bushmaster varminter is loose and it is a shooter...I did put the wedge in mine just to keep it from making noise when walking to a stand.....stump

Other than needing a screwdriver to take the gun down, and the cost vs the wedge, I don't see a problem with them.

Quote:
Has anybody used rear tensioning takedown pins?

Yep, I've got one on my Varminter. The sloppy fit between upper and lower drove me crazy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif The JP tension pin locked it down and the gun's solid as a rock now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
Where does the wedge go?

Inside the lower. It's made of rubber. The upper hen closes ontop of it and compresses it slightly making a tight fit.

the wedge goes here........PM sent

0002.jpg

Last edited:
Does the Accu-Wedge stay in place ok? How about replacement, does it need to be replaced very often? I too have noticed these in various catalogs and have considered getting one / some. My Bushmaster is also a little loose, but not so much as to make any noticeable noise. It may get that way later after a lot more shooting. If the Accu-Wedge helps with noise and doesn't hurt anything, then I think I will get one for mine. Just curious how well they last and if they stay in place.

Good Shooting.

Back