favorite calls

Dakotadawg

C'mon guys! I want to know what name brand and models of calls you are using. I am in the process of finding a howler that I like. I first had the Sceery, but never did like the way it sounded. I just bought a Lohman and have yet to try it. I use a Primos jackrabbit in distress for my prey call. Let me know what name brand, model, and where you buy them at. Seems that around here, everyone has one or MAYBE two to pick from.

CritR-Call,-Standard and PeeWee. Verminator Predator Calls-"Tweety" Rich Cronk-Cow Horn Howler. Have others but, these are the ones I seem to use the most.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Lonny (edited 12-22-2001).]

Hi Dakotadawg,

Let me 1st say I'm a believer that all calls will call critters, some are easier to blow or get the sound you think you need. I've called with some guys that if I were a critter, I'd high tail it to the next county. No two people will blow a call the same, or have the same success.
I have settled on using open reed type calls. I like that they don't freeze, & by placing my teeth in different positions I can get many different sounds.
As for Howlers, I've used three different mfg. & have called in Coytotes with all of them. However, they all seemed to take too much air for me to blow what I considered a good interroagtion howl. I just received a Cronk Cow Horn Howler, & it is just what I've been looking for. Easy to blow, good volume,& easy to make various sounds I think are important.
For a distress call I like the Tally Ho & the Verminators Tweety.
Just my .02
Hope this helps!

Pied Piper, Al's Calls and Rhino.

smile.gif

Paul

Hi Dakotadawg I'm from SD too.Mostly Use Dan Thompson's R.D.H. or a astuin male howler.I have a sceery and a lahmen but use the first 2 more.Just bought a yote buster call have howeled with it too.Thinking about getting a power howler and would realy like a cow horn howler, haven't come up with the money yet.Used a cow horn howler of a freinds like the sound.Mostly use tally ho, mouth pc. off the R.D.H. or yote buster for distres sound.

Dakotadawg, I have tried several different howlers, and have finally settled on a couple. I have asthma and have a hard time blowing certain calls. It seemed like the ones I liked the sound of, I couldn't blow worth a hill of beans. The ones I could blow easy, I didn't like the sound of.

One day I spotted a WoodsWise Howler. I bought it, and found it was easy to blow, but I didn't like the sound of it, or the volume. Well I attached a megaphone to it (plastic transmission funnel from an auto parts store) and it increased the volume, but I still didn't like the tone of it. I then made my own reeds. I tried several different kinds of plastic I had laying around the house (milk jugs, coffee can lids, etc.). I finally found something to make a reed out of that gave me the tone I liked, a 1 liter Mountain Dew Bottle. I experimented with different widths and shapes till I came up with the sound I wanted.

To determine the correct sound, I copied a couple howls off of a Sceery Lone Coyote Howling Tape onto a blank tape. I then recorded my howls to see how the tone differed from the recordings of an actual coyote, and tuned my reeds accordingly. I have used this howler for a couple of years (with the different reeds), and it seems to work just fine.

Another howler I like is the "Song Dog". This one comes with two add on extensions for tuning the sound like you want it, as well as several different reeds. This one has a huge air channel, is quite loud, and easy to blow.

One night this fall I was out working, and had seen a Coyote in a hay meadow on the edge of town (small town, population 420). About a half hour later I was up town at the filling station, and was telling a friend about the coyote I had seen. I took the "Song Dog" out of my pocket, and howled twice. Low and behold that coyote answered me. He was about a half mile from me (at least when I saw him in the meadow). You should have seen the looks on the faces of the people standing at the filling station.

Most of the howlers I have bought that I didn't like I have given away. Some of them have made them work, others not.

Larry

Back