Accubond or Interbond for Elk

Your asking about a premium bullets from Nosler and Hornady I'm pretty sure that either of them would work just great. It would be a matter of which one your gun likes best. Personally I would stay with a heavy for the caliber bullet, 180gr in .30 cal or 162gr in 7mm.

AWS

Shot an antelope at 407yds with a 7mm 160gr accubond, it was still pretty explosive. You might line up about 8 milk jugs filled with water and fire 1 bullet into 1 line of jugs, and the other bullet into another line of jugs. I figured the accubond would be tougher than what I saw. Recover each bullet and you'll know right away. I havn't shot the interbonds yet, but would bet they would have to be at least as tough if not tougher.

From my experence with the two bullets on Deer the Interbonds seem to be a better bond core bullet than the Accubonds. The Interbonds hold together much better . I was wondering if anyone had taken elk with the two bullets. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Accuracy wise both seem to be equal shooting sub 1 inch group with most being 1/2 inch or better in my 270's.

hello,dumb question don't soft points still work ?? not trying to be a wise guy...i never really got in the loop of big game hunting.i don't know why?? people come from all over to hunt elk in idaho yet i don't. go figure???anyway guys at work..coffee shop..you know. these guys are always talking ballistic tip ect...i'm just curious ???

Dear Bea175,

You have one Elk hunt, one shot and one bullet, but which one? I like you have a 270. I chose the Barnes Triple shock
in 140 grains. The Hornday 130 gr. SST and the Barnes 140 gr chronograph with-in 10fps of each other but with different target impacts.

The Barnes triple's shoot very well and penetrate anything
they hit.

This is to me what handloading is all about trying new bullets and see how they perform. I have killed most of my elk with the Nosler Part and killed my last bull with the 210 Swift Scirocco in my 338-06 Ack. My buddy use the 200 gr Sierra in his 300 WM and my other hunting buddy uses Rem Cor-Loc in his 06 and 338 and they work just fine. Softpoints work better than most Plastic ot BT type bullets. I just like trying new bullets. If you don't like Plastic Tip bullets then don't use them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I loaded some 160 gr. accubonds in 7mm rem mag last year. One elk and one deer so far. The elk, quartering away about 300 yrds, entered mid rib, exited through the shoulder on the off side. The bullet was not recovered, very little meat damage. The deer was shot at a steep down hill angle quartering away. Entered through the spine, exited through the lower rib cage at about 150 yards, also not recovered and also very little meat damage. Neither knew what hit them.

I've had outstanding success with sciroccos, but Ive switched to 200 gr. bullets in the 300 and they don't make them heavier than 180. I'm using ABs. Looking forward to seeing how they perform.

So here is the bullet I have found to be very effective out of my 270 on elk.

I am using the 140gr Interlock BTSP, from hornady product #2735. Last year, I took 3 shots at a wounded (by another hunter) cow elk at 380-400 yards with this bullet out of my 270. The results, all three hit in the pocket behind the shoulder, all three were lodged in the far ribs, The expansion was good, and the bullets averaged about 86% wieght retention. My wife also shoots this round. The first year she shot a big cow in the shoulder at about 230 yards. The bullet blew up the etnrance shoulder, passed through and broke the second, lodging just under hide. That bullet has 83% retention, after breaking 2 shoulders.

I am a big fan of the 140 gr BTSP interlock.

bea175,thanks for the info sounds like you have experiance with many bullet types on big game..guys i know that are a bit younger than myself are 100% sold on ballastic tips-as far as i know they have not used old fashioned soft points.on the other hand some of my "older"friends prefer soft points..i guess i'll just have to try both myself one of these days...from squirrels to coyotes i always by chance i guess used the "ole" sp's never thought any different..i asked you because from other posts of yours i knew you reloaded & hunted big game...good luck!!sorry if i derailed your thread.......

Nothing but good to say about the Accubond. I haven't recovered a bullet yet (4 deer) but they have all dropped on the spot with little damage. Good bullet and exceptional accuracy.

I have not used the accubond or interbond on anything, but based on what I've seen and read regarding actual testing of the bullets in various medium, the interbond seems to hold together the best.

At the same time, one is wise to find out for oneself rather than trust the gun rags! I never woulda trusted a Hornady Intelock for any of my big game hunting but given Elk's experience with them would probably use them.

Mr Allen i didn't mean to sound like a smart a$$ . I was just asking for some first hand experence on Elk with the Nosler and Hornady. I use the Interbond and the Accubond on Whitetail and they work great. When it comes to Elk you know they are a whole different ballgame when it comes to bullets. I personally believe the Swift Scirocco is better than the Hornady and the Nosler but this is just a personal opinion. Here is a photo of the 210 Swift Scirocco from my 338-06 Ack recovered from the last Elk i took in Colorado. Elk was about 175 yards on my Laser Range finder. Hobble about 30 or 40 yards and toppled over after the shot.
338SCIROCCO1.jpg

338SCIROCCO2.jpg

I have shot 5 Elk with the Nosler Accubond and have had great results. Last year I shot a bull at 225yds quartering away. The bullet went in right behind the rib cage and exited in between the shoulder and the neck on the opposite side. He took five steps then folded. I have been able to only collect 2 bullets that were not complete pass throughs and they still maintained 80% of there weight and had a perfect mushroom. The cores were still bonded to the jacket. I shot a cow elk a couple of years back with a swift scirroco and the bullet totally vaporized. Granted I hit a rib, but I have also done that with the noslers and had better results. I am shooting handloaded 180's out of a 300 win mag. In my opinion, I will keep on shooting them. I just wished they came in a box of 100.

I have used Winchester Supreme ammo in Fail Safes, then Partition Golds and now Accubonds over the years in my 300WM with great success. All in 180gr. I never had the problems that some people have had with the Fail Safe bullets.

I now reload using the Accubonds in my 300WM and my 270WSM. This bullet has proven devastating results on all game here in Alberta. All 1 shot kills. In the 2004 season on the last day, I took a NT Mulie at 44 metres-1/4 away-shot hit behind left front shoulder in the boiler maker, and found the bullet in the right front hide-after it travelled thru the RF shoulder. This buck dropped dead in his tracks. I took the recovered bullet and weighed it at 150gr (83.3%)with perfect expansion. An hour later I took an 8x7 Whitetail at 554 metres -another 1 shot kill complete pass thru double lung. Same results with a moose taken by my hunting buddy eariler in the fall - double lung- complete pass thru with small entrance wound with a huge exit wound. All were taken with factory Winchester Supreme 180gr Accubonds.

My wife (at the time fiance) took her first mulie buck and cow elk with her 270WSM (440 and 200 yrds)using WInchester Supreme 140gr. Accubonds- all 1 shot kills.

I was so impresses with the 270 WSM performance with the 140gr Accubonds, I used it on my cow elk in 2005 with the same results.

With the reloads I developing for my 300WM and 270WSM using Accubonds- I'm looking forward to this hunting season. If you want a bullet that retains more weight- stay with the Faisafes (100%) - or try the new XP3 bullets from Winchester- Suppose to be a combination of the Failsafe & Accubonds. I sure would like to try this bullet out- only if a person can get it for reloads.

Good luck in your decision.

I have also been waiting for the XP3 to become available for handloader. Can't wait to try them. The 140 Accubond is the only bullet i have tried in my Model 70 FW in 270 WSM . I use MagPro and it groups 1/2 inch or better with the largest group being 3/4 inch. I purchased a box of 130 gr Scirocco's but haven't tried them yet. Last year i used my Mod 70 in the standard 270 Win for deer with the 130 gr Interbonds with two one shot kills. Will try the WSM this years on Whitetail. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back