Howa 1500 Varmint twist rate for 22-250???

CZshooter

Lots of posts lately about twist rates. I tried the search and the manufacturers website. No luck. I just wondered if anyone knows offhand.

I have to this point only shot the Winchester Varmint 40 grain value pack loads out of it. They did well and I didn't notice any issues. Knocked the heck out of prairie dogs out to about 300 yards. Didn't try any further.

I posted a few days ago about reloading some bullets at a friends place. I made up some 50 grain V-Max and today loaded up some 60 grain V-Max.

I just wondered what to expect in terms of performance from those two bigger grained bullets. Can't wait to get to the range and try 'em out.

When I wondered about my CZ527 Varmint with Laminated stock. I called CZ and was told that all the Laminate stock ones were 1 in 12 twist. Then I tested it with a tight piece of cloth on the cleaning rod, I found that it was actually a 1 in 9. Incidentally that gun shoots those 40 grain winchesters great too. Supposedly the quicker twist rate guns don't like the light grain bullets. I didn't find them to be an issue.

So if anyone has experience with the Howa 22-250 with the heavy barrel, I would appreciate any insight.

hello,i dunno??? 1-9 seems mighty fast for a factory 22-250....there's 1-9's out there in factory 223's...i would double check that good luck....

Back