tough night, long day

Mike Paul

Well,
with the wife and kids out of town until Christmas eve, I loaded up the Toyota last night with all my HUNTING gear, and headed to a pretty good spot I know in Nevada. (No Tackdriver, not Wells!)
biggrin.gif

Anyway I was doing some scouting and was deciding which stands I was going to hit when it got light, when I heard a loud noise under my truck. Poked my head underneath to see my skid plate dragging with only one bolt attached. I went to grab my tool box, only to realize that I left it home. (about 164 miles away as the crow flies)I couldn't get the last bolt out with my flashlight and pliers.

I then did what any normal guy would do in this situation out in the desert, in 20 degree weather. I picked up my caller and my shotgun, headed down the road about a half mile and started calling.
About 30 minutes later after not seeing a thing, I got up and turned around to see a coyote on a trot coming at me about 20 yards away. Talk about a adrenalin rush! I had a heart attack! I proceeded to empty my shotgun loaded with #4 buck at the fleeing dog running away through the sage brush at mach II.

After cursing myself for not grabbing my rifle instead of the shotgun. I then started cursing Jiffy Lube, who took my skid plate off a week ago, told me I was missing a bolt and would take care of it. Boy, did they ever!
Got a piece of wire from a fence post, tied the plate up, and limped into Wendover where I borrowed a socket, took off my plate completely and headed home to Salt Lake.

Here is the worst part of the story. I got into town, Went to Carl Malone Toyota, got new bolts, went over to Jiffy Lube and told them to fix it right! Came back home, loaded my guns back in the truck, along with my TOOL BOX, came in to my office, wrote the whole ordeal here.
Now I'm fixing to leave to go back there right now! What in the hell is wrong with me???
rolleyes.gif

I will let you know how this little hunt of mine ends on monday. MP

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com

Sounds like your having a good time to me! If everything went as I had planned I think I would feel left out somehow. Just take it in stride and keep going!

Good luck!
Daryl

Okay... First of all, Randy I did not forget to call, just figured you couldn't be gone all weekend!
wink.gif

Well...After 3 days of hunting Nevada and Utah, including the Lynn area, here is the tally:
Foxes-3 Mike-0
Coyotes-7 Mike 2 1/2?

The foxes I saw were in Nevada, and would have been easy to shoot, but I don't have a Nevada fur bearers license...I WILL have one very soon!
rolleyes.gif

The coyotes in Nevada didn't get off so easy though. Took one feeding on a antelope, and another one walking into a rabbit distress/pup distress at about 130 yards. Pictures will be comming.

On the flip side to Utah, I didn't have as good of luck. As Onefoot said in an earlier post in this forum for Utah hunters-They are there!
I had 2 yesterday that I had called in, one with a canine distress on the foxpro, the other with an AP-6. I had the foxpro on a limb about 40 yards behind and above me on the first stand. I was in 17" of snow in some pinions looking down at a nice ravine. I had spotted 2 dogs just moments before on the other side. I started calling on the first stand when my remote stopped working. I pulled out the AP-6 and started calling. After about 30 minutes, I got up to retrieve the foxpro. One of the coyotes had circled behind me to catch my scent, and took a leak under the foxpro!
I got a chance at a second dog, but it was a quick shot because I didn't see him until after he had caught my scent and was heading out to the next state. Didn't see any blood either.
frown.gif

All in all, I covered a lot of ground, saw a few animals, found some excellent areas to call, and my skid plate stayed on! Think I will chalk this little road trip up as a scouting trip!
biggrin.gif

I am asking 2 questions to myself right now...Why didn't I take my hunting buddy with me...And Wiley, where are you when I need something skinned???
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
MP

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com

MP

You moved to soon on the Utah yotes...heheeee

When I was there at Dugway you could not call and move in 30 minutes of calling.

Well you have learned heheheee.

Hay remember a tool pouch under the seat can save the Scouting days many times over.

------------------
Kevin Bowler
Support NRA Vote Freedom First

Back