Who took the bones?

PineCone

Last fall I found a dead whitetail doe while out walking with my kids. It was 1/2 half decomposed, eyes gone, ribs exposed, hide still there,etc. It looked like the scavengers had been working on it. It looked too rotten to drag away any good piece of meat. I went back monday to see what I could find. I found only hair and the skull. No small bones, backbone or anything else. What animals would take away the bones like that? There are coyote, fox, fisher etc. around here. Do they run off with bones where the meat has rotten off? Any ideas? Thanks.PC

Coyotes get hungry in winter and will clean up everything they can find. They can crush practically every bone in a small deer's body. Sometimes you find a hoof and a piece of leg bone from a spring killed deer, but in winter they usually eat the feet too.

I wish I had pics of a deer's skeletal remains I found this spring. It was huge. I was sure it was from a moose until I examined the attached hooves. The size of the rib cage was enormous.

Here's one fer ya Pinecone.

How come coyote scat sometimes is white in color? It does not have to be old scat either. I have noticed it white in the winter.

I don't know Joe. Bones? I have seen some pretty bony scat, but it never occurred to me that it might be from old bones. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif I guess I was always thinking fresh venison. Snowshoe Hare maybe?PC

Last edited:
Joe...I think the white that you are seeing in their scat/poop/crap etc. is the hair that they have digested. Look closer and you will see that it is hair that is making it look white.

I think you both are right. Sometimes there is white hair from snowshoe rabbits in it.

Sometimes it is chalky and white which can only be crushed bone, it seems to me.

My dogs scat is white when they eat bones sometimes I feed them raw and the bones get digested as white. Bones , Bones ,Bones /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Were i hunt they have a spot about 100yds into the woods that they drop off any dead cows they find. Well needless to say, theres bones scattered everywere, including out in the pasture. Ive found random leg, rib bones and vertabre 500yds away into the pasture from "bone road" before. I guess the yotes, fox, and whatnot take them. We also tend to find corn cobs around too, from the near by corn fields
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back