Calling in Missouri..

RedOneFive

I live in S/W mo, in the "Ozarks" And I can't ever seem to Call Anything in. I'm inexperianced as a Caller, But I Need To Know how You Suggest To Call in Wooded Areas, With Some Fields Round 150yrds wide - 300yrds long. We've Seen Big Big coyotes and Foxes but never when hunting. I have a Mad Calls, Howler with Megaphone end, And a Crittr' CAll Pee-wee... I have a Friend that was going to Kinda "Learn me The ropes of 'yote huntin' *hack spit*" But he's BEcome busy with his family and work, I've got 2 tapes with some Calling lessons, one is more promotional for a Lohman call though... I was Wondering how Everyone Suggests I learn To Call and What type of CAlling I should do in my area. Thank You Much,
~ROF~ (Joey)

Red one,
I suggest that you start out with the pee-wee call and call small clearings back in the brush. Work your way quietly upwind, sit with your back against a bush or tree where you can see for fifty yards or so. Call for about fifteen minutes and then move a mile or so and try again. I am going to move this question to the Predator hunting forum where it should receive more attention. Good luck, and don't give up. The predators will come.
smile.gif

------------------
http://members.aol.com/cronkcalls/calls.html

I agree with Rich. The only thing you might do, since you are calling in rugged terrain, is to call every half mile or so instead of a mile. Your calls may not be carrying very far in that type of terrain. Hills will dampen your calls carrying.
I would start out with a simple cottontail in distress call, and call where you know there are coyotes in the immediate area.

Best of luck and happy holidays.

------------------
Nothing worse than a coyote friendly gun!!!

RED ONEFIVE, I've done some calling around Ash Grove in the last couple of years and there are a lot of coyotes in your area. A lot of road hunters blazing away at every coyote from the road plus a lot of novice callers wih JS 512s setting up badly equals a lot of educated coyotes. But don't despair, if you lie to them a little differently you can still confuse them bigtime. If you Email at RDTL_Higgins@webtv.net I'll give you my tollfree number and you can call me at your convenience and I'll share with you a little of what worked for me. By the way when you start fooling these coyotes consistantly the goat raisers in your area will welcome you with open arms.

------------------

Rich Higgins

This year has been the slowest start I have ever had here at Stockton.
I don't know if it is the warm weather we have been having or what.
It could be another record harvest of deer,that equals a record number of lost deer that critters may be feeding on.
Even the grey fox are not responding.
Cold temps are in the forecast for Christmas week,maybe that will shake things up.
Keep at it,it will come together one of these days.

Well thanks for the help, RIch i will e-mail you as soon as i get a chance, GOt a Friend over for some reason *rolls eyes* Anyhow Me & my grandma Are Goat Ranchers WE're building up to about 150 head and WE've got a buncha pregnant ones right now.. Thanks Again... I think me and my friend are going to set upOverlooking a field behind my house tomorrow.... Time to go talk to you later. rof

Back