South Dokota Coyote hunt

My friends and i are trying to get a coyote hunt put together in south dokota. But we can't deside on where to go in the state, we live in wisconsin so we kinda want it to be like a 12hr or less drive. If anyone could give me the location of some good public land with lots of room and plenty of yotes i would be greatfull. This would be our first coyote hunt out west so I kinda want it to be a good one, any help would be great.

Hey Wis-
A good place to go is on or around the Pine Ridge Indian Res. We turkey hunt there and one of the non-Indian ranchers within the Res trapped or snared 80 coyotes in one month last winter and another guy had a Federal hunter fly by and get 36 in one pass. You want coyotes, they don't! Its a bit of a drive but hey, your almost there any way just go a bit further. FYI
Dave

My family owns a ranch in Meadow, SD. There's a few yotes around there but I'd say some of the hot spots around around Western - Southwestern SD. Get with the ranchers associations there and I'm also sure that just driving there, you could get on some ranches who will tell you where they are at. Assuming you take care of their P-dog problem if they have one as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Im going out there the week after christmas im just going to drive out there and see if i can find a place to hunt.Id like to go to this Pine Ridge indian reservation if i could find ouit where it is at and if there is anyone a guy could contact

The CO we hunt with is Ralph Bearkiller and he is located just north of Allen S.D. Ralph is a great guy and heads up all of the CO's on the Res. If you hook up with their website you will be able to get Ralphs #. Let me know if you need more info.
DaveC

ive worked for two different ranches located at cuny table and at sharps corner. plenty of coyotes and prairie dogs. just ask around up there the ranchers are good people and they might let you come hunt for free..

Pine ridge is a good spot. You can always hunt the National Grassland in that area.

If you based out of Rapid City you could hit the grassland in custer and fall river county. This will give you some access to the cheyenne river bottom in various spots.

You can hunt land just outside of the Badlands National park and head a bit west and hunt southern black hills national forest. Big meadows and good coyote numbers.

For grassland maps contact the Buffalo Gap National grasslands in Wall South Dakota.

Does anyone know anything about the coyote hunting in and around a town called Eureka, SD? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

It just so happens I will be inheriting 480 acres outside of Eureka from my in-laws, but I've never even been close to Eureka. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I am an avid coyote hunter, and would be very interested in finding out if there are any "dogs" west of Eureka by about 9 miles? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks,

Rustydog

jsb@opusnet.com

Boy oh boy. This thread really lights my fire. I was in SD the forst week of November deer hunting. The coyote population is unbelieveable. At dusk and dawn EVERY DAY 3-5 PACKS of coyotes would cut loose with a variety of howls, barks, and whines. We saw them walking and hunting the hills at all time of the day. Our outfitter was friendly but FIRM that he didn't want us to spoil the deer hunting by pot-shoting at coyotes, and we didn't. BUT.....I yearned for my .222 and my Loudmouth e-caller. The outfitter takes guys out (for pay) to call coyotes after all deer hunting is ended(Jan 1) at the rate of $200.00/day!!! Ouch! This hunting was in Gregory County and is almost, if not all, private ranches. I have not stopped thinking about heading back after New Years and look for coyotes on PUBLIC land. It is country just like on Randy Anderson's videos...big rolling hills with wooded bottoms and visibility for miles. I am retired and can go anytime. It won't take much more of this thread to get me packing(LOL).

Rusty,

While there are dogs around the Eureka area, it is mostly in a pheasant hunting portion of the state. I'm sure you will call in a few dogs, but the population is not too heavy in that area. Too many locals chase them down with trucks, atv's, & snowmobiles.

Mifox,

If you are willing to pay $200 a day for a chance to call in coyotes, I would go to Nebaska where they really have a good population /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif The public area in Gregory County gets pounded (hunted)hard. At this time of the year more than likely 50% of the coyotes you heard in Nov are now dead. More than likely another 30% have moved to private land with less pressure. The remaining 20% are pressured - hard. Best bets are either tribal land or pay $$$ for private. Goodluck let us know how you end up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back