.308 110 gr V-max

cjg_beef

I'd like to hear any reviews on this bullet. I want to try some lighter bullets in my .30-06 but have heard mixed reviews about this bullet. Please share your thoughts and suggestions.

I've shot one whitetail at 350yds, behind shoulder with no exit. Deer went about 20yds and dropped dead. I have shot several coyotes with the bullet and it usually goes right through leaving about a quarter size exit hole. One bobcat at about 80yds, tried for a pass through behind shoulder but it all but tore him in half. All out of a 308 using H380. On deer at anything past 200yds I would say that shot placement is critical, I think if it hits bone it will blow up without much if any penetration. Fine for coyotes, too much for cats and foxes.

coyotesmoke,
what kind of groups were you getting? I'm only going to use this round for rockchucks and other small varmints.

I am approaching several thousand through my 300 Win mag. I use the 110 V-max strictly for pd shooting. I have not shot anything other than pds with it, but if I did I would slow the bullet down to try to get some penetration.

I am loading to 3700 fps and occasionally getting a blow up just out of the barrel. Not sure you can get that (speed) out of an -06 but a rough barrel may induce some blow-ups at even lower speeds.

In my rifle the 110 V-max was the most accurate of the light 30 cal bullets I tried. I would try the V-max first before trying the others.

On pds the results are nothing less than spectacular. You won't be disappointed.

Jim

Never have tried the V-Max I have used 125 grn Speer TNT's in 308 and 30-06 the only problem with them out here is wind drift they tend to get blown of target at over 300 yards and we always have a wind here in KS. they do work good on yotes and PD's though

cjg_beef,
I've shot 110gr. Hornady V-Max bullets out of a Remington 788 with 46.7 grains of IMR-3031 at 3040 f.p.s. that gave me a touching "clover leaf" group at 100 yards. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

This load was NOT fur friendly....as a matter of fact it wasn't friendly to any of the varmints that I shot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Quote:
coyotesmoke,
what kind of groups were you getting? I'm only going to use this round for rockchucks and other small varmints.

A 5 shot group at 100 is less than 1/2". I shoot it out of a VSSF 308 that is bedded and had a trigger job. I will have to look to get the exact load but it is fed gold medal brass, fed 210m primers and H380.

I haven't reloaded any, but the factory Hornady TAP 110 ammo shoots great in my remington 788 .308 with ten rounds going into an inch and a quarter at 100.

Loaded some up for my Remmy Model 600 Mohawk using Varget. (Can't recall the powder charge, but I will get it if someone wants it) It honestly put 5 shots into .75" at 100, probably couldn't do it again, but I have the paper to prove it.

Shot several deer with the load, and it has never exited the backside, even with a heart/lung shot. Hit one in the neck at about 100-125 and almost took his head off. I would say the load is not fur friendly at all. But I wish I could find the money to get a decent .30-06 or .300 Win mag to burn the barrel out of. I think it would be "interesting" to see the spatters.

Back