How far do calls travel

ISU

I was curious how far a rabbit distress call will travel with little or no wind. The places I hunt are usually open for at least 3 or 400 yards, and there may be some trees after that. I'm not having much luck, and was wondering if my call was getting to the coyotes or not. Thanks in advance.

Corey

Hi Corey
Welcome to the board.

The question you asked is hard to answer, because a coyotes hearing is way better than a humans. The sound can be much louder to them at 1/2 mile than it would be for us.

I hunt in the same state you do. My experience is to call every half mile if your calling in timber. Maybe up to a mile if your calling large open fields.
I hunt mainly along the S. Skunk river and try to leave a hundred yards or so of open field between me and the timber I am calling. I do not call loud very often, unless there is a breeze, even at that, I try to set up so the breeze will carry the sound toward where I think the coyotes will be hanging out.
I have had coyote respond almost instantly, and some, I have had come in after 20 - 25 minutes. Chances are they ran along ways to get to the sound.

Too answer your question, I would assume a call will carry up to 3/4 of a mile, give or take a 1/4 mile depending on volumn, terrain, and weather.

Best of luck, hope I helped.

Boat

------------------
Nothing worse than a coyote friendly gun!!!

Thanks for the reply Boatman. Sounds like we hunt some of the same type of areas. How's the hunting going for you this year so far. I've been skunked for the year, then again I'm fairly new to this game, but I don't like to use that as an excuse. Let me know how the hunting is in your part of the state. Thanks again, and go cyclones!

Corey

Well it hasn't been the greatest for me this year, so far I have only called in one a week before shotgun season for deer opened, his hide is in the freezer.
I called a thick brushy timber, set a buddy up downwind about 30 yards. Sat there for about 15 minutes and a coyote jumped a fenceline about 20 yards in front of him, started coming up the hill too me and he shot him. I stay out of the woods when deer season is open, not to safe.

I'll keep in touch and let you know if the hunting is any good. Here is my Email [url=mailto:haefners@kdsi.net

A little snow here in Iowa wouldn't hurt us any either. I have my last final exam tomorrow morning at 7:30, so after that I'll be out about every day giving it a try. Good luck to you too.

Corey

ISU,

Don't be discouraged. It takes a little time to figure out how you should set up on them yotes. It will all come together one day and you will have yotes sitting in your lap. Sure is awesome to see them screaming in to your setup and then hit the skids when they meet up with that little lead pill.

coyotestalker

ISU

Welcome to the best place on the web.

You might be calling to loud on the first few calls.

Start out softly with the call for about 2 minutes. Then stop for 2 minutes. Call again softly for the same time frame then stop.

After tow to three time of calling soft start calling louder but for a few minutes then stop.

Start again then stop.

If you see nothing stay put. and watch. you might have a call shy sneeking in. If after three to five minutes nothing stand up and look around really good. Still if nothing then move on to a new calling area.

Never give up sooner than later it will work and you will be hooked too.

------------------
Kevin Bowler
Support NRA Vote Freedom First

ISU,
A Coyotes hearing is said to be 8X's that of the human ear. I know that don't mean much or tell you much except for this:

However loud you are blowing, imagine if magnified 8 times and this may give you a little more confidence in them hearing it.

Paul

------------------
"watch your backside"

[This message has been edited by Predator Paul (edited 12-21-2001).]

Did someone say they wanted SNOW? Look out the window. Here comes a Christmas gift from California!
eek.gif

I appreciate all the replies guys. I'll be out there tomorrow giving it my all. Even if I don't get anything, there's not much that beats the peacefulness of sitting on the stand with the anticipation of a coyotes coming. Thanks again.

Corey

How far do calls travel?

Mine have traveled through most of Arizona and parts of New Mexico and Colorado. No matter what or where I'm hunting, I usually have a predator call hanging around my neck.
biggrin.gif

Daryl, you carry yours around your neck all the time, thats a sign of a sick person, I carry my in my pocket all the time.(mouth dia.)

Back