Darn you guys.....

me

You wouldn't let me get rid of the 7mm-08 because it kicked too much...
You talked me into keeping it...
Taking off the light, synthetic stock...
And into putting on a heavier, laminated stock...
So I got a Safari Classic from Richards...
I had them cut the LOP to 12 3/4" for me...
I've worked on it now for 3 or 4 hours...
Just to get the inletting opened for the barreled action...
Sandpaper is heck on manicured nails...
I still have to open it for the magazine...
Raise the bottom because it's too deep...
Trim and shape the fore end...
Sand it smooth...
Apply several coats of polyurethane...
Then glass bed the barreled action...

It's going to take me hours... and hours.... and hours.....

And I'm gonna love every minute of it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here it is so far. Color is "camoflage". I've cut about 3" from the fore end to get it to Model Seven length and wetted it to show the colors.

me!

408520.jpg

That is way past very good looking...

Wow, that is very nice.. I can't wait to see it up close and personal... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I might even go one step better, Mr. Meyer...
I might even let you shoot it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

P.S.
Your .257 Roberts has kept me wanting to do a custom stock ever since I saw it!

Me,
I ordered the same color stock from Richards for my 77/22mag. Should have it in about 3 weeks. Thanks for the pic. BTW, if you ordered it for that rifle, why did you have to cut the fore end off?

Very nice!

Just a thought...you might want to consider easing that scope a little farther forward (actually, as far as it will go) in the rings. Setting back like that, it just might whack you in the eye on recoil, especially if you are in a forward-leaning position like sitting or prone.

Unless, of course, you've already found it harmless in that configuration with that length of pull....

Sweet!!

That would sure look nice next to the contender grips I just finished. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif What do you think?

Contender%20grip.JPG

Dave

7wsmsav - Yes, they call it 96%. BUT... Since the stock is too high and I have to take almost 1/4" off the bottom, I'm going to have to pretty much cut a whole new channel for the trigger gaurd/magazine cover assembly to sit in. I am NOT a wood worker. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I can't hammer a nail straight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif This is going be a challenge /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif .....

I was amazed to find out how just a 1/1000th or two anywhere in the inletting can make a huge difference in whether the barreled action drops in or has to be squeezed in. I did a LOT of sanding - a few strokes at a time - to make it a smooth fit. I found out that a dremel tool goes entirely too fast. (Please don't ask how I found out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif )

Greg - They make the stock overly long so that the purchaser can shape the fore end whatever way they want. Now I've got an extra piece of wood to fill in my mess-ups! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Pete - If I want to be able to see through the scope - especially on higher powers - it's got to be back that far. (This scope is a 2-7x32 Bushnell Legend.) I set up all my rifles so that the scope is set perfectly for my natural shooting position. If I moved it further forward, then I'd have to lean way forward. That's how a lot of women end up with "scope eye" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif ; they end up leaning into a scope set up for larger people on a stock that's too long for them.

If you get a rifle for your wife/girlfriend/daughter or even a son... And they're smaller than the average 5'10" male... Be extra good to them and have the LOP on the stock cut to suit their needs. It's only wood! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Then set the scope where they need it to be. Have them close their eyes and stand naturally with their cheek against the stock - then then have them open their eyes and move the scope so they can see without moving their head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Grunter - I think you're right! They would look good together! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Ship that Contender out here and I'll get a picture of them! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Oh... If it doesn't get back to you right away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif .....

I hope my stock ends up looking that good!
But no matter how it looks - it'll be better than plastic!

Thanks for all the compliments! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif
me!

Me,

I used Tru-oil in the spray can. About six thin coats then buffed with steel wool.

I'll ship it right out to ya! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Dave

Back