Having trouble in Colorado

copperdog

Having trouble calling in the willy yotes here in Northwestern Colorado. I can get them to howl back, but nothing comes in. I've tried howling first, coyote chasing a rabbit, then going into a distress call. I have been waiting 30 to 35 minutes at each set. Still nothing comes in that I can tell. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Keep at it and they will eventually come. It took me almost an entire winter before i got my first one, but I have called quite a few since then. Just keep at it and don't get discouraged, one will eventually come and you'll be hooked for life. You'll eventually learn what areas to call and how to work the coyotes once you spot them. One thing I've learned is to always expect the unexpected. Coyotes have the ability to come out of nowhere and be on you in no time, that's when it gets exciting. Good luck to you and keep at it.

ISU

Thanks for the words of incouragement. I had good success in November calling in 3 and getting 2. The time before that I was elk hunting and called in 4 and got 2 then. Since then I've been humbled. I feel that my sets are good, sounds have been mixed so as not to call the same in the same area. Your right about expecting the unexpected, they sneak in when you least expect it. I'm most definatly hooked. Just don't ask my wife how much I've spent on everytning so far. Ha Ha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have called quite a bit below you towards Grand Junction and it can be tough. In my experience if they are sitting out of range barking at you your busted and need to move at least a few miles to your next stand. The most important thing for me is stand location. Since your hearing them I would assume your getting seen entering your stand or their winding you without you seeing their approach. Either way I would slightly change stand location and/or entrance tactics. Good luck

Oh...if you get the chance...try a low volume bird sound with higher pitched howling mid sequence (4-5 minutes in)...it seems to be the ticket for me around there.

I hunt near you, out of Meeker to be specific. I call quiet a bit. I find that the elk seasons and all mess things up around here. Also it varries from day to day. Each time out it seems to be different.

Were close enough that we should go and kill together sometime. I have hunted Douglas Creek, Unit 10, Unit 11, 211, 345, 2, 201, and a bunch of area near Baggs and as Far north Rawlins, Down towards , East to Sterling and west to the Utah Border. I know some good country, but heading to my handfull of great spots might require a blindfold.

Droip me an email at: agr_winn@yahoo.com

Hey ArizonaArcher, thanks for the reply and info. I would like a little more info about using the bird sound and the howling. If you like please email me. Again thank you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would have to agree with you elks, the elk hunters have got things really messed up. If they ever get through huntin them poor critters maybe it will get better. Right now to much for them coyotes to eat just laying around. I was out this weekend and seen a couple of calf elk that will become coyote bait in the near future. Sure hate to see that. Oh well gotta keep trying. Need to break in the new fur getter some time.

The late season cow hunts will be over the end of this month and hopefully things will be better after that. I'm planning a trip up that way in January for a weekend hunt. I hunt deer and elk up there and have seen coyotes but have never hunted them up there.

Another option if the dogs are there, but not reacting too well is to stalk them, if u have some open country around. I rarely call anymore since i began this pursuit in earnest.

sscoyote,
you mean to say that you have a better kill percentage stalking coyotes than calling them!! Wow were you a sniper at one time or what? Coyotes are a mighty weary critter to be sneaking up on, on a regular basis. You need to give more details on how your accomplishing this. How are you spotting enough to keep you busy all day?

Boy there are more guys in my area than I thought. Not sure if it is a good thing or a bad thing. Maybe we should plan a day hunt in NW Colorado Followed by a party for all the we caused. What you guys think? A small get together might be cool?

Rob, I'm always up for a party. Especially after a good hunt. But I think my "stalking" days for coyotes are over, lol. The less walking I have to do, the better.

NASA, good to hear from ya... SOunds like you are nearing thetime when you need to move to Texas and hunt their way. I will try and set up a small NW Colorado get together. My place isn't big, but it will ahndle a good night of celebrating. Let me get confirmation from the wife.

I'm going to have to agree with sscoyote. I still call alot but have pretty good success stalking. We have lots of open hayfields and a coyote is spotted fairly easily. When they are busy mousing I have pretty good luck sneaking to within rifle range. Our fields aren't super flat so there are usually landscape features that help with getting close. Cattle out in the field help too. With cattle around there is lots of movement and noise so a hunter who is careful does not stick out as much. I even got a fox once by keeping a yearling in his line of sight to me. I had run out of cover and needed another 50 yards. I just got a calf in between us and walked up.

Sounds like some of you are running up against the same deal as me . I've got a bunch of coyotes on public ground that just wont commit to calling . Every once in a while you will get one , but mostly hit the call on a spotted one and they are gone . They pulled the cattle off and things have slowed , but there are a couple of spots that seem to always have dogs . Spot and stalk is always a tough option but one of the funnest .

elks, I work at a small sport shop part time a little further north of you and am supprised how many go out calling. I just hope its not to close to where we are. Most say they are out in the Sandwash area. If you get something together give me a holler just might have to come see who else is out and about.

Thanks for the support on the stalking ISSUE guys.

I want to make sure i get all these questions right so as not to create any confusion ND, so here goes;

Question 1) "You mean to say that you have a better kill percentage stalking coyotes than calling them!!"
Answer= no

Question 2) "Wow, were you a sniper at one time"
Answer= no

Question 3) "...or what"
Answer= no answer-- please give more details

Question 4) "Coyotes are a mighty weary critter to be sneaking up on, on a regular basis.
Answer= This is actually a pretty good question, but easily answered. It's fairly easy to sneak up on a tired critter.

Question 5) "You need to give more details on how your accomplishing this."
Answer= no, i don't have to.

Question 6) "How are you spotting enough to keep you busy all day"
Answer= Whether i'm busy all day or not has nothing to do with the original question.

Back