predator hunting mags

donruss

guys,are there any good predator hunting mags that yall read?if so,what are they. i would like to subscribe to a few.im gonna need all the help i can get.
thanks.

Donruss,
Just hang around this site and another ... www.varminthunters.com
The Varmint Hunter is a good mag and organization to join, the other mags are too trendy for me. I think the varminthunters site has the link to the magazine and organization. Just my $0.02.
DB

For my money Varmint Hunter Magazine, is the best around. True they cover more than just calling. But they are the best. Most of the hunting magazines have adopted the philosophy that they want short, very short, articles, not much real meat, and lots of photos. Especially product selling photos. They have no place for articles about a couple of good old boys who went hunting, had a good time and want to tell everyone how and what worked. Now personally, I get a lot of enjoyment out of that kind of article. It's alot like this board. Personal and family like, so to speak. I think someone said "warm and fuzzy", which I take as a positive. The big name mags call such articles a "Me and Joe" story and no longer print them. In fact if you look at other major hunting magazines, you will see that almost every calling article is written by one of about four writers. So you just get a rehash of the same stuff. If you will give Varmint Hunter a try, I think that you'll like it and learn a lot about hunting and shooting. True it only comes out 4 times a year. But it is a must read for varmint hunters.

Ozark Charlie
Hunt Hard and watch your back

Trapper and Predator Caller
American Trapper
Precision Shooting
The Accurate Rifle

The last two are not specific to predators, but I think everybody should give them a look-see.

------------------
Safety,Ethics, Accuracy, Velocity, Energy

I receive the Varmint Hunters Association magazine also. When you join the VHA ($24.00 per year) the mag is sent to your home, like someone said 4 times a year, as part of your membership. Due to higher publication costs, they have now dropped their newstand issues as of last issue, in the past it was not the same copy that is sent to the members.
I feel the mag is worth the $$.
coyotehunter_1 VHA # 54405.

yeah, what they all said.

I tend to look at anything that calls itself

"X-treme"

without the "e" as pretty much crap. If I see it on the newstand I'll pick it up and flip through it, to see the pretty pictures.

donruss;
Why not get both? Varmint Hunter Magazine and Predator Xtreme are very different in style and substance and economical enough to justify two subscriptions. The current issue of Predator Xtreme has a coupon for 9.95 for a years subcription. As has been pointed out, the articles are a bit basic and repetitive for experts but if you are new to the sport you will find a lot of good info in a concise format. Varmint Hunter also has some good articles but many others are written by members and there is little control over content. In other words, there is a lower standard of professionalism and some of the advice is of questionable merit. Many of the articles also ramble quite a bit. If you like reading, no problem. If you just want the pertinent info, it can be frustrating. On the plus side, VH offers a wider range of perspectives and covers topics other magazines do not. Also, you don't have the built-in advertisements of Predator Xtreme. Each magazine has its merits and faults, so just get both and make up your own mind.

Dan Johnson

Back