Capital Forest Bears?

steelieking

OK fellas, I have been hunting the e line in and around 2040, 2020, 2070. So far I have not seen a single bear. I found one scat pile and one set of tracks? Any suggestions on other areas to look for my bear. We have been hitting it hard and see many guys in these areas hunting, nobody that I met has seen a bear either? I will be down again this weekend for saturday, anyone know where else I should be looking?

I've been having the same problem in the Kapowsin South area. I have seen one scat pile so far and haven't talked to anyone who has seen a bear. I read something interesting, that if true, makes me think our chances aren't very good. In summary, one of the mags I read said that hound hunters hired by the timber companies under some sort of damage control permitting harvested 190 spring bears on forest company lands last year and this was 17 TIMES more that harvested by hunters with non-hound special permits. If that is true, only 11-12 spring bears were killed last year by non-hound special permit holders.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I am some what relieved at your lack of success. I drew the Kapowsin tag, and did not realize there was an entrance fee. Being fairly new to WA. I opted to go to Idaho instead and hunt Unit 1 with a friend. I saw 13 bears in 2 days an took a nice boar.

I ranted on another forum about the entrance fee. I was informed that at least the Kapowsin area, they feed the bears in another unit, to draw them out of the hunt area where the young trees are. Another fellow hunted it last year for 8 days an never saw a bear either. He informed me that he drove thru the feeding unit and saw over 100 bears (I think). I think that's pretty F'd up myself.

I do have a question for W. WA spring bear hunters. Since I drew the permit to take a spring bear in Kapowsin, but never went hunting or paid the access, do I forfeit one of my two western bear tags ??

Try the GMA 454 around Cumberland and Enumclaw area. I have seen tons of bear sign, but have no idea on how to hunt them in the thick stuff. I did set up a trail cam on an apple tree near this area, but went to check up on it affer a week of being in the woods and it vantished! All that was let was the bungee cords that held it on the tree. I wonder if it was a crider or dumb theif?

Back