Fixed objective vs. adjustable objective

I have both AO and Non-AO scopes.

On PD and targets I use the AO. On my Big game hunting rifle I have AO scopes I usually just leave them set on 100 yards. On very long shots on a couple of occasions I've ajusted them (400 and 500 yards). The animals weren't going anywhere they were pretty calm. On my calling rilfes for cyotoes I never use AO. Most of my calling scopes are in the 1.5 X 5 to a max of 4.5 X 14 and usually set at or near to bottom of the power range. If the scope has AO depending on the country I usually just put it down on the lowest setting.

It comes down to proper tool for the job. Small targets ( paper or otherwise) at long distances AO is the way togo, however, in my opion coyotes and larger game you have a vital area large enough that an AO scope isn't worth it.
Just my .02, good luck huntin'.

Maybe its jusst because my eyes are getting that much older, but I find the ao to be very useful for working up loads, sighting in, and also on my rimfire rifles. Don't use them on the big game rifles though. For me it is better to have it and not use it, than to need it and not have it. As for playing with it too much, don't do that when hunting, just set it and forget it pretty much the same as a non ao scope.
Barry

That is right, it is a matter of the right tool for the job. My scopes with AO are about half & half. All of my rifles that are for Target/Varmit shooting & the Deer/Big Game rifles that are set-up for long range shooting have scopes with AO. Also, my rimfires that are geared toward precision shooting have AO, & that may sound funny to some at first, but it is important to be able to focus down to 10-15 yards with those or out to 100-150 yards & the AO will allow this. For Coyotes that are being called, you would not need it, but if I see one across a big bean or Cotton field in the winter, sometimes I do need one. And as someone stated earlier, for called Varmits of moderate range shooting, cheek weld will take care of most of the problem, but the longer the range & the smaller the target
the more the AO comes into play. I will never again have a
scope over 10 power without AO. For Deer hunting when I am using one of my long range rifles, I just set the PA for about 100yds. if I have the chance of a close shot then the PA is set for the same yardage as a scope without PA would be set for anyway & if I see one out further, then I have time to set it, if I don't have time to get set up for a long shot, I don't want to take it anyway. In 25 years or so of doing this, not one time has it been a problem, nor do I expect it to.

Back