Keeping Brass Separate On Same Caliber, Two Guns??

gobblr addict

I have two .204's....Rem. Mod.7 and Rem. XR-100 Rangemaster...I am finding it hard to keep the brass separate as I found out the two chambers, even made both by Remington, are very different....

After close inspection, I found that my XR-100 chamber left a minor ring almost half-way up the casing...that's the only way I can look and tell which gun it came out of...

What I decided to do was load one with Rem. 7 1/2 primers, and the other with Federal 205's...that way I can distinguish silver and gold primers. Any better suggestions, as I take both of them to shoot at the same time....gobblr addict

gobblr addict, what I do with same caliber rifles to tell which brass belongs to which rifle is to take a black permanent marking pen and mark the primer end of the case for one specific rifle. I just turn them all bullet down in a case and run the pen over them. You can even use different colors for more than two rifles of same caliber. Works well for me, as I only neck size for each rifle, but your way will also work great if those particular primers give you a good accurate load.

That's one of the reasons my son talked me into never buy two rifles in the same caliber.

So I guess that said--------I should offer to take the XR-100 off your hands-----LOL

Quote:
Make a small notch in the rim with a triangular file. You can even feel it in the dark.

Jack

Thats what I did to my 78 T-Bird keys. The door & ignition were both square. That came in quite handy on many a Saturday night. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I guess I lucked out. The 4 Remington Swifts all shoot the same brass. I may shoot the two Classics from one box of ammo. I haven't had any problems and they will all shoot around 1/2 inch groups or better. I've even shot the two heavy VS and VSSF from the same box on dog towns. My 223's, Custom Broughton and Savage all shoot the same ammo also.
Probably a big no no, but it works for me. Haven't had any complaints from the dead critters either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

BigDog 2.... that's exactly what I thought...don't have two rifles the same caliber.... bought me a new .223 barrel for my Encore to use in some product design stuff, then I got bit by the AR-15 bug. I thought I'd sell the Encore barrel, but my, oh my, is it a shooter... so I thought oh well, better sell it anyway. Went ahead and posted it for sale here to no avail. Couldn't get the price I wanted and wasn't going to give it away. So I decided I'd have two .223 rifles. As such, I use different brass for each rifle. Very simple and easy to seperate.

Since I set the Headspace with my sizing process, I have a set of dies for the Encore, and a set for the AR-15...both die sets are different brands as well.

I like the magic marker idea and the file on the rim idea...Dan...I do have separate boxes, but when crawling around sneaking up on chucks, stuffing spent cases in your pockets, then after a long day come home finding both pockets full of different brass, gets confusing...

Bob Addy....You are lucky that all those Swifts shoot the same casings...gobblr addict

Had both chambers cut the same......eliminated lots of seperating and marking and all that happy stuff. Two .204 Rugers, two chambers cut as close as I could ever headspace, one very large batch of brass.............

Back