Is it legal to use a stuffed animal Rabbit for a decoy in PA ?

codydog

I have a Question about the PA Game Commission law on the use of decoys to hunt predators. The way I read it in the book. You can not use a decoy that is considered food for the animal you are hunting. Like using a stuffed rabbit to hunt coyote or fox. I have been to a few seminars in PA and they say to use rabbits, fawn, and other food items for coyote and fox. Question is this legal? Sorry if this seems to be a dumb question. Just don't want to get in trouble with the LAW.

I found the law is the game book stating "Decoys: Decoys simulating food is considered artificial bait. Examples: artificial corn; using a turkey decoy to attract coyotes." So I would take it that you cannot use decoys? But I dont see anything that says you cant bait them.

Look on their website. I cant find the link anymore, but earlier this year they added non-living decoys for coyote.

This is direct from the game commission site- #016-06

2006 Press Releases
Search Pennsylvania Game Commission - State Wildlife Management Agency Home Printable Version eMail
Release #016-06

NEW TOOLS PROVIDED TO FURBEARER

HUNTERS AND TRAPPERS

HARRISBURG - Pennsylvania Game Commission Executive Director Carl Roe noted that, beginning Feb. 20, furbearer hunters and trappers, especially those pursuing coyotes, will be able to take advantage of new tools provided through recent changes in the Game and Wildlife Code (Title 34).

Under the new law, the list of legal methods and devices was amended to allow licensed hunters and trappers to use any natural or manmade nonliving bait used to attract coyotes; any electronic or mechanical device used to attract coyotes; and any decoy used in the trapping or hunting of furbearers.

Roe pointed out that the new law does not permit hunters and trappers to use any natural or manmade nonliving bait used to attract furbearer species other than coyotes, or to use any electronic or mechanical device used to attract furbearer species other than coyotes. Current regulations permit the use of electronic callers for hunting bobcats, coyotes, foxes, raccoons and crows.

Additionally, the law allowing trappers to use any natural or manmade nonliving bait to attract coyotes still does not permit the bait to be visible from the air. Current law (Section 2361 of Title 34) states that it is unlawful for any person to bait a trap with meat or animal products if the bait is visible from the air. Those hunting coyotes, however, may hunt over bait visible from the air.

Roe noted that the coyote season, when compared to other game species seasons, is the most liberal season in the Commonwealth.

"A properly-licensed Pennsylvania hunter can hunt coyotes year round, from July 1 to June 30, including Sundays, with either a general hunting or furtaker license, 24-hours-a-day, and the bag limit is unlimited," Roe said. "We also permit hunters to use electronic callers, and the Board of Game Commissioners recently finalized a regulatory change to permit hunters to use up to #4 buckshot to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of their shotgun loads."

As for trapping coyotes, Roe pointed out that the annual seasons run from mid-October through mid-February, and the bag limit also is unlimited. In addition, this year a new measure approved by the Board took effect to permit coyotes and foxes to be taken by trappers using cable restraints from Jan. 1 until the end of the trapping seasons. To use cable restraints, a licensed trapper must take and pass a one-day certification program, which was developed and is being implemented with the assistance of the Pennsylvania Trappers Association.

"Hunters are telling us that they are seeing a lot of coyotes, and that they believe the coyote population is having an impact on deer mortality," Roe said. "The Game Commission and Legislature have provided the most liberal seasons possible for the hunting and trapping of coyotes, and we encourage licensed hunters and trappers to take advantage of these tools.

"Even prior to these new tools being made available, coyote hunting has become an event in itself. The challenge has become quite popular amid a very large segment of our sportsmen and a unique and enjoyable event in its own right."

House Bill 1690, sponsored by House Game and Fisheries Committee Chairman Bruce Smith, was signed into law on Dec. 22, and now is designated as Act 86 of 2005.

Content Last Modified on 2/22/2006 10:41:20 AM

Last edited:
Basically what he said is for fox you can use artifical bait(decoy of a food substance rabbit for example) for coyotes you can use electronic decoys and bait piles. it was excepted and in use the sunday after fox season.

yes this year they corrected it you can use whatever for coyotes. (decoys,bait,electronic calls, and motorized decoys) the only thing you cant do is use a redlight that is attached to your firearm at night. hopefully they will change that soon like the rest of the planet, but for now they cant be attached to your weapon.

the ppha is in the process of trying to get scope mounted lights approved. it will be a long and tedious process but I think we have the members that can sell the idea to the pgc.

Back