Mondays thunder in the Wabash River Valley ( pics )

3rd Alarm

Well my Indiana 2006 Turkey season can to a end with two bangs.

I hadn't been able to get out at sun up yet this year, I finally decided screw it and took the day off. As the sun broke the horizon, as my title indicates, the Wabash River Valley exploded in gobbles. So far this season we haven't been about to get any thing to make a peep. We heard several birds fly down into the large field to the east, but were moving away from our stand. About 10 minutes after fly down two birds began to gobble thier heads off about 300 yards behind us. We decided to cut the distance and moved in to close. As we stood there Chad yelp once and only got a half a yelp out when two Toms gobbles 60 yards from us in the brush. We quickly sat down and began to call. The Toms would Gobble but were quartering up the valley to our right. After they got to about 100 yards I knew I had to do something, so I reach for my wing bone yelper that KeeKee built and yelped 4 times. The gobblers turned right at me and gobbled thier heads off and commited. I took the lead bird as his head cleared the brush at 30 yards. I wish Chad hadn't killed his earlier cause the second Tom just stood there as to say " WHAT THE H--L WAS THAT" and could have been easily taken. The whole action was over and we were back to the truck by 7:15. My bird stats: 10" beard, 1" spurs and was 20 lbs even.

SEE CRAPSHOOT, I told you that you should have came to Indy!

DSCF0381.jpg

DSCF0384.jpg

I knew Mike ( DenTreeDog on the boards ) was hunting the same area only a few miles away with his Son-in-law. So Chad and I wanted to get these guys on all these Gobblers that were gobbling thier heads off while we took the pics of my bird. Once we got the guys back down to our area two went South and we took Mike to the North where more of the gobbling was going on. We worked our way back in close to where the birds were, we couldn't get one located so we took a seat. We got a bird to gobble back up where we had sat at sun up that morning, we again cut the distance and found a good spot to make our stand. We got the birds fired up again and with in 5 minutes three jakes were at 35 yards and Mike picks the biggest and let the big dog eat scoring his very first turkey. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Mike's hunt lasted a total of 20 minutes. Mike's bird stats: 4" beard 1/4" spurs and was 15 lbs.

DSCF0386.jpg

Thanks for looken!

Scott

Way to go Scott /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Nice birds, now back to coyote obsession!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

JD

For sure, I just talked to the local Animal Control Officer Tuesday and I am hooked up with him for some coyot control work....WHOOHOO!

Later,

Scott

Back