BOB MILEK

AfricaPredator

Now this gentleman needs no introduction. It was 1978 when I got my first GUNS AND AMMO from USA, man! I loved those mags, and in 1988 I grew to love Bob Milek, a true marksman, a true legendary figure who made single shot handguns famous. He inspired me to get many different barrels for my contender. And today I still read back issues that my hero Bob Milek wrote.

I miss him, he was a legend. His writing will never be forgotton, he had a style of writing that is unmatched by anybody today. Amagine if he was still with us, what fantastic articles he would be producing now.

I think I speak for everybody in the varminting field when I say WE MISS YOU!

Bob Milek attended a Scheutzen match at my Gun Club many years ago. He let me shoot his Contender 45-70 on the 200 yard range. He had it loaded up with cast spire point lead bullets. I shot nice. He was a real gentleman and fine shooting company.

That match was the national championship sponsored by Coors at our club. We no longer have that match but it was quite a splendid thing. I didn't shoot the scheutzen style guns but always made my way to the range for that weekend.

Two other guys who were there that weekend to shoot the "celebrity match" were John Russel (remember the tv series I think called "Lawman" or "The lawman"?. He always had squity eyes. The other guy who shot against him was Claude Akins (sp?). Akins won the match by a few points. Both of them gathered with the other shooters later in the scoring tent and were both class acts as well as real shooters and sportsman.

I agree with you on Milek being missed. Most of the gun rag writers don't have much to offer other than the products of whoever they are whoring for, but Milek sure was an exception!

I totally agree with you. He was down to earth and told it like it was and not just an add for the sponsors. He is still one of my favorite gun writers. I still have some of his articles for references. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

He always was my favorite too. I kept all of his articles and two handgun hunting special magazines put out by guns and ammo.
Harvey7

He was a man I would have loved to have met and shaken his hand, a true sportsman, a man I miss seeing in articles today. Today many writers pull to far ahead with things they write about cause they are paid to say good things, Milek was a writer who wrote facts and in the field knowledge is far better than office research.

You always felt as though you were with him when reading his stuff.I miss him.

Last edited:
Just met Rich Mertz of the M.O.A. Maximum handgun. Another down to earth class act. He knew Bob Milek real well i guess, and said he was a great guy. Would have been quite the privelege to know him i think.

He was one of the few gun writers who if, as time went by, needed to change his assertions and conclusions, would do so! That was one of the things about the man that impressed me most I think. He probably knew as much about guns/ammo/sights/ and hunting as any man who ever lived and yet, he was never a "know-it-all!" When changes in technology came, he reflected those changes in his writing, honestly and accurately. He had enormous knowledge and ability coupled with a small ego. To me, that says it all!
I started a letter to him back in the early 90's. Kept putting off finishing it---wanted to write the perfect letter I suppose. Then he died. That was an awful disappointment let me tell you. Still, the man's memory lives on. He left us a great deal to remember him by!---Mike

Aw man, Bob was one of my faves. A real old school gunwriter.

I've long since stopped reading G&A, but his articles were always "go-to" for me.

While I never had the opportunity to meet Bob face to face I did speak with him on the phone numerous times. Yes he was indeed a class act. Bob never seemed to busy to talk to, and answer questions to an aspiring Handgunner. He helped me make some decisions over the years, and probably is the one responsible for me being such a true 6mm bore fanattic.

Larry

Not to get too far off the thread, but a couple of other writers that I like are Rick Jamison for his technical depth and willingness to present detailed results and I like Ross Seyfried for his broad experience and willingness to touch on off the beaten track topics.

I once read an article by Sefried on paper patching modern jacketed bullets to achieve bullet fit for some offbeat and obsolete calibers. It worked!!

I lived in Thermopolis, WY for several years, I saw him quite a few times here and there but never did talk to him other than saying hi how you doing when we passed. Now I wish I would have.

Funny thing........I talked to several people in Thermop about him being a writer. Most folks said his wife writes (she's written a couple of books) but Bob doesn't write. I showed them several articles I had laying around and they could hardly believe it!

He died a couple of years after I moved to the next town to the north. I didn't even know he was sick

One of the kids in school had an old white Toyota PU. My oldest son told me that it was Bob Milek's old truck. I asked him how he knew and he said the kids Family knew Milek's real well and there was a plaque on the dash that said "This truck was buildt especially for Bob Milek". I wish I could have bought that truck when the kid was done with it.

Wow!

Bob Milek is still my hero! I started reading his articles when I as 12yrs old. One of the many reasond I moved out West!
A true legend!

You gentlemen have hit this right on the head concerning Bob. I knew him for a great many years and still see his oldest son about once a year as I travel across the country. I would say he was one of the most knowledgable men concerning firearms and reloading I have ever known. He was a walking reloading manual! He was my hero as well and he will not be forgotten as long as I live. I am so glad to see tha I am not alone in praise for Bob!

Bob was THE reason that I got into T/C Contenders and varmint hunting in general. I called him a couple of times and he was very gracious on the phone. I never got the feeling that I was bothering him in the least. I wish someone would put together a book of all his articles that he wrote over the years. I think it would sell very well. His son wrote a few articles but apparentally never stuck with it after Bob passed away. Bob was a good man and I miss his informative articles.

Seems that I am not the only one who grew to respect and admire Bob Milek. AfricaPredator, thanks for reminding us of this great man.

Years ago I purchased a T/C Contender pistol and a 30 Herrett barrel. Bob had considerable knowledge of this cartridge since he worked closely with Steve Herrett on it's development. I still have the barrel and scope, but sadly don't have a frame right now. Anyway, I was beginning to reload for the 30 Herrett, and like many of you, I followed Bob's stories and looked forward to them each month.

One evening I thought, why not try to call Bob and talk to him personally, so I phoned Thermopolis, Wyoming information and asked for Bob Milek's phone number, which I really didn't expect to get, but was surprised when the operator gave it to me. I proceeded to call Bob and personally talked with him about the 30 Herrett cartridge. This true and kind gentleman took his good time to go into detail to explain to me how to size and load the cartridge, not something that many would do. I have always cherished that conversation because I had such great respect for him.

I always wanted to meet Bob personally and considered trying to look him up when I planned my first Wyoming hunt, but sadly enough, I learned of his passing.

The shooting sports certainly lost a fine man, one who lived what he preached. I agree AfricaPredator, that this man is a true legend. Thanks again for mentioning his name with honor.

Last edited:
Bob Milek was my hero, still is! He made me a true 6mmx 56 fan, I had to have one, and my contender barrel collection was all because of Bob. I loved seeing him in the canyons and using a dead rest with some hand cannon.

He inspired me, and till today I have never seen another writer who can come close to him, he was and will always be my hero- Bob the walking Shooters Bible!

Many things come and go, but he will never be forgotten.

Back