Opinions please

Kermit

I'm looking at purchasing a .22 cal pistol. I'm trying to decide between a Browning Buckmark .22 semi auto and a Ruger .22 semi auto. There isn't a lot of difference in price. The Browning sure feels good in my hand, but the Ruger has the bull barrel and is stainless steel...and I really like stainless steel firearms. Anyone got any opinions or experiences with either of these pistols? Thank you.

I'm not sure which Ruger your looking at, but I have the 22/45 and prefere its grip to the Ruger MKII. I and many others I know are very happy with the 22/45. It is also available in SS.

I suspect the Browning will keep it's prices a bit better but their both fine pistols. Buy one of both--you can never have to many 22s.

I have both...well a Buck Mark Siloutte...fluted heavy barrel 6", and a Ruger Mark II KMK-10..which is the 10" SS bull barrel. They both shoot well...really well. Never a Fail to function or eject. Both have well over 10k rounds through them. The Ruger when it get dirty starts to not fully cycle...like after 500 rounds. A tap on the back seats it and I can usually go 800-1000 rounds between cleanings. This will happen every 20-50 rounds or so from 500-800 round count. The Browning is solid and reliable but I have never gone 800 rounds between cleaning with it.

Either is a stellar choice...feel them touch them..then decide.

I don't really like the handle in the 22/45 series...personal opinion

I will buy only stainless handguns.

I have had three Ruger 5 1/2" stainless bull barrels; 2 MkII's and my present MkIII 22/45. I've put thousands and thousands of rounds through them. They are an absolute balst to shoot! Easily "minute of squirrel"!

I've put a Volquartsen trigger and sear in this one - what a difference!! You can cut a "blast shield" from a soda can to cover the trigger group and eliminate the dirt that gets in there. Directions at: http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/blastshield.htm It works! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I have smallish hands; I find the 22/45 fits better.
I do like the magazine release up near the trigger gaurd.

me!

I've shot both e & like the ruger a tad better. You asked for opinions so you are going to get a lot of them (being different). I like the 22/45 feel better than the MKII. Both are solid.

I couldnt turn down a deal on a 22/45 once. The grip to me was unpleasent until I put a rubber over grip with molded finger grooves. Really improved how the gun felt, and its now one of my favorites.
Either manufacture produces top of the heap stuff. It would be a matter of person preference.

I prefer the rugers over the brownings although both are very good .22's. If you happen to own a glock or a 1911, advantage arms makes a conversion for both that shoot very well. I have several ruger heavy barrels but I like shooting my glock 22 with the conversion slide better.

Heck I almost always have an opinion about just about anything,
I would say go with what feel better in your hand or what YOU like better. My preferance would be the RUGER just because i like Bull Barreled stainless semi auto's been wanting a Ruger like that for a long time just never run into one when I had the spare cash.

Quote:
I have shot many rounds out of both guns.I like the browning better.It was more comfortable in my hands and I shot it better.

Kermit,
I've owned both handguns and liked the Browning much better for the same reasons that Jason_Schmidt like it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Quote:
I couldnt turn down a deal on a 22/45 once. The grip to me was unpleasent until I put a rubber over grip with molded finger grooves.

I got a deal on a 22/45 once as well didn't like the grip converted it to a mark2 the handles interchange

I bought my first gun at the age of 18, and it is no longer with me. My second gun purchased in 1971, at the age of 19, I still own. Most guns I buy and sell over time as I want something new or different. My Ruger MK2 5 1/2" bull barrel pistol was purchased new in 1984 and I still have it and don't think it will ever depart. Other than my 12 ga 870 from 1971 it's the gun I've held onto the longest. Very dependable and accurate.

Can't say anything good or bad about the Browning never even fired one.

Back