Pro's and Con's of Ruger M77 compact rifle

berettaman

Hi, I will be getting the above rifle in .223 and was wondering what owners of the rifle think of it? I have never owned a Ruger rifle. Mostly interested in the action and accuracy of the factory barrel. Thanks!

I don't own that one, but I have the 223 ultralight. They are pretty close, mine is just a tad longer in the barrel and overall. My rifle shoots great, little tiny groups at 100 yards so I never did modify it at all. The trigger is also just fine the way it came in the box. (My rifle was bought new in about 91.)

I want to buy a compact in 223 for two reasons. It is REALLY small, less than 36 inches overall and would be super handy in the pickup! (Second would be that I could finally get a centerfire in stainless.)

The action is fine, and I really like the three position Winchester type safety. It is my favorite rifle, and its performance/handling had me buying another Ruger in 22 LR.

If the accuracy is not up to par, I would bet a little experimenting at the reloading bench would tighten those groups.

Have fun with it,

A.G.

if you want a compact rifle in 223. there is none better than a CZ 527 carbine, It has a short lightweight action, that will be a better package, also if I am not mistaken the ruger compact has a really short LOP where as the CZ is full size, I would also bet the CZ carbine is more likely to shoot better

Got a compact 77 in 260 for my boy. Shoots super, carries better. Agree with Jake, trigger is junk, but not as bad as my 10/22.

My nephew has one in 243. I agree its a neat little rifle that I like, with a contemptable trigger that I hate.
Harvey7

Thanks guys! I got mine today and really like the 3 stage safety system and the action in general. I will have to wait just a little to get a scope but am sure glad to hear that others shoot good. Trigger is ok, not great but in this day and time it is above average. Thanks again!!

Back