Coyotes got one newborn, one unborn calves and moma!

rangerider7

The owner of the ranch I lease called me to tell me that something got his cow, one newborn calf, and one died still halfway in her. He thought it might be a mountain lion but the cow was eaten from the rear. I told him most likely it was a pack of coyotes. Mountain lions like to start with the heart and liver. I have seen this before in Throckmorton county on a ranch that I worked for in the summer as a teenager. 5 coyotes took down a cow and a newborn as it was coming out. I got two with a 30-30, but the rest had to be gotten later. Hunted yotes ever since. I will not be able to go tonight to set up at the carcass, but will be there tomorrow night. One of the owners will try tonight. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

My Dad told me he seen the same thing. Yrs ago working as a ranch hand in California. Dad & another hand killed many a coyote preying on the hefer & newborn calf.

Scenario; A pr or a pack of coyotes. Waiting nearby, until the newborn calf is about 1/2 way out. Then moving in for the kill.

Some say, not possible. Hmmm, guess they haven't seen it all.

Quote:
coyotes took down a cow and a newborn as it was coming out.

Devious little bas!*&^%$#s. Hope you get em. Question: Do cows make noise when giving birth or do the coyotes just wait for the opportunity. Also , have you ever heard of anyone using cow sounds as a call this time of year?PC

Or possibly the cow died while giving birth and the coyotes showed up later. Unless someone was there, we'll never really know.

I have helped a farmer pull calves when the cow was having trouble. None made any noise and none of the calves born live on the farms I work have ever been bothered by the yotes that are clearly there. I have heard of other farmers who have had yotes take down new born calves and have even been so bold as to corner them in barns to do it, but the goat and sheep farmers seem to have more problems with yotes then the cattle farmers. The yotes do work over the calves that are born dead if we don't get them buried quick.

The coyotes around here dont so much go for the cows/calves, rather the after-birth. My dad went to check cattle one morning and a cow had just had a calf. There were 3 coyotes on the side of the hill about 100yds away just waiting. As he began to move the cow home, all 3 yotes came running for the afterbirth while my dad was still there. They got to about 30 yds and he started waving his hands at them. They ran off, and as soon as he moved the cow about 100 yds away, they ran in again and snatched up the afterbirth. Like it usually happens, he was unarmed.

The ole coyote is often blamed for many things they just don't do. A momma cow and two calves, is a lot of work for a coyote to bite off? What kind of tracks were present at the alledged kill site? Im with CAl....most likely momma expired while calving, and a coyote or two had lunch.

Rangerider7,

We run cattle in Wash. state and have considerable experience with coyote depredation.

Cows certainly die during birthing ..... but coyotes certainly munch on calves and cows during birthing as well.

I do doubt that the coyotes actually killed the cow "on the spot".

Often, coyotes eat the fetus as it's coming out of the cow and in their exuberence poke holes in the cows "private parts" .... especially if she prolapses ...... an otherwise repairable condition where the uterus comes out with the calf. ..... but which can not be repaired if predators perforate these delicate linings.

Now there would have to be an overwhelming number of coyotes to cause the cow to be damaged to the point of not at least getting up and moving some distance.

What's more likely is the cow experienced a debilitating degree of paralysis during the attempted birthing. The coyotes may have fed on the fetus while it was alive thus killing it but unless you catch it in progress it's hard to really tell either way.

The question came up about "how coyotes know" or do they even know about birthing.

It's by smell.

An animal about to birth has it's cervical opening in a dilated condition. We have many times watched coyotes standing by as a cow or especially a heifer is getting close to giving birth.

And cows often do make signicant noise as they give birth ......... ask any woman ...... IT HURTS!!!

The coyotes are all too happy to key in on those stimuli!

Three 44s

Last edited:
rangerider

a large cattle farmer called me last week and said he had lost 2 newborns in the past two weeks. He was watching a third calf being born and as he turned to leave he noticed 7 coyotes laying and milling around on the hillside about 200 yds away. He had no weapon so started waving and yelling. They went up over the hill and he loaded the cow and her calf into the trailer and moved them to the barn and gave me a call. I went down before sun up and got set up. I placed the old paper machet red fox's nose in the speaker of the WT caller about 60 yds away from me. Within 20 minutes I had 2 coyotes 150yds out laying and staring at the decoy. I switched to the red fox in distress call and they popped up and looked like they were on a string. As they got within 50 yds I shut the sound off and the male coyote picked up the pace and came to a halt 10ft from the decoy. BANG and down he went. The female retreated in a straight line and BANG - I missed. She turned left toward the creek bottom and broadside and BANG down she went. This was only the second running shot I have ever made.

The farmer was very excited and I now have an open invitation to hunt their 1200 acre farm (A good size cattle farm in Indiana).

At times when a cow is having calving problems, it will cause temporary nerve peralisys which makes it impossible for the cow to walk. When a cow gets in this condition, coyotes don't differentiate much between the calf thats already dead and the cow that is alive but unable to get away.

I've seen a pair or sometimes three coyotes work a cow by one coyote biting the cow on the hocks and when she turns to chase that coyote away, the other two will try to get the calf. When the cow runs back to the calf the coyotes will run away and the cow will chase one of them, leaving the calf vulnerable to the other coyotes. They'll finally work the cow far enough away that she can't protect the calf any longer.

If the cow remains with the calf, the coyotes will work her from behind, (taking turns biting her on the hocks) so that she will continually spin around in a circle trying to fight them off. This usually results in the cow killing the calf by inadvertently stepping on it.

Coyotes, in general, are not lured to calving areas because they want to snag some veal, but primarily to gorge on the afterbirth and newborn calf feces, which is exceptionally nutrious stuff.....if you like eatin that kind of thing:)
Informed ranchers, at least those I know of here in southern Arizona, are far less concerned with coyotes as a problem, as they are with lions or bears. Not that the odd coyote won't take a liking to newborn calves, but it is the exception, rather than the rule.

Interesting reading for sure. I know most of the larger cattle men around my area and they all will pretty much tell you the same thing when ask about coyotes. They are very aware that ALL coyotes don't kill calves and all dead calves aren't killed by coyotes. They will also agree they do at times present a threat and are also very capable of doing so. They worm and vacinate their cattle for preventative measures against other threats as well. This is just good business. Killing coyotes in their minds (mine too) is much the same thing, "prevention".

On many occasions over the many years I've been around cattle and cattlemen I have both witnessed and heard reliable stories of coyotes causing loss to calves all the way up to grown cattle. On many occasions I have seen the scene where coyotes have killed a cow and calf while down calving. Yes, there was plenty of evidence to substantiate the coyotes did the killing. I've also drove up on cows that have had the ground all torn up where they have circled their newborn calf defending it for hours against a group of coyotes. On a few occasions this leads to the calf being stepped on as well. This is not always immediatly fatal but can be.

Just a little over a week ago I got a call from a rancher that raises very expensive Brahman cattle. He had lost a couple of calves and even witnessed coyotes trying to bring down a third. He drove up on the incident and ran them off. He took the calf to the vet where they had to stitch up some pretty good gashes. It would have easily been number three if he had drove up ten minutes later. These coyotes have since been made movie stars on my next video /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Needless to say they will not be back.

Last spring I had a rancher stop me in town and flat of beg me for help. He had about 60-70 head of heavy bred, first calf heifers up at what he calls headquarters. This way he could easily tend to to them during any calving difficulties. These heifers were dropping 1-5 or six calves a day. He had lost several to coyotes and had resorted to having to sleep in his truck in effort to keep the coyotes out. This slowed it down some but not much. I camped out a few nights overlooking the fenceline that they were entering from and killed the main culprets, but there were at least a few more coyotes working that small 30 acre trap. His death loss dramatically dropped after the coyotes were dealt with.

One more story. I got a desperate call from a rancher that claimed he was loosing some 3-400 pound calves to coyotes. After hearing his story I was convinced it was dogs. He was adement about it being coyotes though, but really did't care he just wanted what ever it was dealt with. It turned out he was right and it was coyotes. A bunch of coyotes to be exact. The yearlings were in some pretty good size lots up by his main barn being fed out. For several nights in a row they were being harrased by coyotes. The yearlings would panic run through fences (tore up a lot of fence). They had broken bones and some had actually been killed. In only a few days he had lost several thousand dollars worth of calves and spent countless hours and money reparing fence. On my first stand calling, not 200 yards behind this place I called in over 12 coyotes. That's right, over a dozen (Not a typo) very bold coyotes. After the smoke cleared I made a few more stands and then set snares and showed him how to maintain them. He lost count of the coyotes he caught in the next few weeks. I could go on and on with stories but I believe you see my point.

As Chile and others have mentioned they are sometimes lured to calves by the smell, afterbirth, and nutrient rich feces. This I'm quiet sure of, but they are also very capable of preying on the and taking advantge of down cows and new born calves. How often they do it is completely irreleventand to me because the potential is always there. Controlling coyote number by any means is not any different than worming are vaccinating against potential threats, and just makes good business since.

I would also like to mention that predation by coyotes on cattle in some areas of the country is almost non-existent and in some areas it is more common. This I'm sure can be a caused by several different varables. My point is simply that coyotes can and do adapt to take advantage of many situations. He is simply a very bright, oportunistic, predator. In some areas adult male coyotes only average slighty over 25 pounds and in other areas adult males will average over 40. The two are both still coyotes but have adapted to achieve different feats. Don't get me wrong, I'm not implying that the only good coyote is a dead coyote. I simply saying that they are predators and if given the opportunity they will take full advantage of it. I don't blame him one little bit for it and in fact I admire his ability to do so. I will also say that anything a coyote does wouldn't supprise me much. This is why I enjoy hunting him the way I do. No other animal on the planet offers as much challenge to the ordinary guy as well as the trained profesional. Some (very few) can apear to do the dumbest things while other can do what they do without ever being seen. The idea that an animal of these qualities can't and don't offer a threat to a baby calf or incopacitated cow, to me is quiet silly. I need no excuse to hunt coyotes other than my desire to do so. The preception of some is that they need some type of reason to justify hunting coyotes other than the thrill and challenge of the activty excapes me, just as the preception of some that don't believe the coyote offers a threat to a newborn calf. Christ sake gentelmen, he is the most formidable, and prolific predator on the planet, is he not? Sure, some hate him and some love him. Regardless of where you stand though you have to admire him.

Byron /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks Byron,

I would not have dreamed that a dozen or more 'otes would tag team 3-4 weight cattle much less run them through a fence..... makes me re-think some of our "dogs did it" theories.

Many thanks

Three 44s

I lost my deer lease this year to a neighboring ranch purchasing the property. I talked to the foreman of the "Big Ranch" and he said in a ten day stretch, their trapper had trapped 23 coyotes moving from our lease to their property while their hefers were calving. I knew I had seen more yotes this year than any of the previous three years, but had no idea there would be that many on the 800 acres. The trapper told him he hadn't even made a dent in them!

Back