Go Figure

NE223

My brother stopped by tonight to tell me a coyote tale and I thought I’d pass it along to a group who would appreciate it.

It’s cold and we have about 9 inches of snow on the ground here. There are a lot of fields of corn still standing so the farmers are still working on harvest.

Around noon today my brother met one of his truck drivers at a bin site where they’d parked the semis just before the snow storm. The trucks were loaded and needed taken into town to be dumped. Obviously with the cold conditions they had to be started and warmed up before they could be driven to town and the elevator.

When the arrived at the site and started the trucks they noticed a lone coyote coming across an alfalfa field to the north of the bin site, neither of them had guns with them so they just watched as he crossed the road and disappeared into the corn field.

My brother and the other driver got into my brother’s Dodge diesel pickup to wait for the trucks to warm up. It was running and the dryer fans on the bins were also running. Pretty soon out of the cornfield came Mr Coyote following some rabbit tracks. He ignored the pickup, the trucks, and all the noise of the bin site and continued toward the pickup. My brother and his friend continued to watch the coyote until he was right beside the pickup, finally my brother waved his hand. He said the coyote spun around and launched out of there like a little grey missile. My brother got out of the truck and paced 4 and ½ steps to where the coyote was standing.

Of course he had to stop by my work just to let me know how close they got to him and make me jealous.

This is all in keeping with the first rule of hunting………..when you don’t have a gun with you the chance of seeing a coyote goes up by 432.4%.

Back