Feral Cat Update

Critter_Gitter

It has been several days since the first post opened, so I figured an Update was due. I had ordered two #220 Conibears and was mistakenly sent two #330 instead. Useing those, the score is now even at 1-1. One sprung attempt and one Feline down.... 2-1 if you count the calling experience noted on the feral/domestic cat post. (Yes, a score is kept for vendeta reasons) I want one cat for each duck the cats took. I need 12 more cats. I added one from last time since when they sprung the trap they then ate the bait, a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif unfrozen ruddy duck set aside for baiting.

This experince has left me with several questions...

The first question is wheather feral cats are pack type hunters. The trapping of the first cat left it alive and flopping around in the trap. I had heard the trap go off as it was set in an aluminum boat on a trailer. When I approached a second cat was at the scene and looking rather puzzled. I guess he didn't like what he saw and was hoping he had not used up 8 of his lives or he would be next.

Did the agony of the first cat instantly attrack another cat? And if so, why not try this while calling?

Thirdly, does a conibear properly suited in size to target animals, kill them? I think that #330 is to large to use on feral cats. This is my first attemp at educating feral cats to traps useing the conibear.

Some body correct me if I'm wrong but I think that the conibears can be set to catch either by the head or leg. I'm not sure but I know one killed my prize walker coondog when I was a kid and the trapper paid big when I pulled all of his traps and cut them apart with a torch and left them on his front porch.

Conibear type traps are usually set in a trail, in front of a baited 'cubby', or under the ice. Depending on the set they can be with or without bait. The usual idea is to catch the animal around the neck and it quickly dies. With a larger size & smaller critter any body catch will kill the animal quickly. A newer 330 size with strong springs is very powerful and is usually used for beaver and otter. Most states regulate their use on dry land to some type of dog proof set. They are a little much for feral cats. I would make efforts to be sure you don't catch anyone's dog.

In New York, it's against the law to set a Conibear (body gripping) trap on land!

They are designed to grip the animal, preventing it from swimming and therefore it will quickly drown!

On land, this type of trap is not guaranteed to kill what it catches!

Quote:
Thirdly, does a conibear properly suited in size to target animals, kill them? I think that #330 is to large to use on feral cats. This is my first attemp at educating feral cats to traps useing the conibear

1.yes when properly suited to size they kill them dead

2.a 330 is overkill for a cat and probably illegal to use on dry land, check your state laws. On your own property doing nuisance animal control you may be ok.

They often travel together. You can get one in a 220 or 160 conibear and other cats with it will return to be caught the next day. Use the foil packs of catfood wal-mart sells for 50 cents a package. One package is good for a few baitings.

It is important to put the bait in a nylon or cheesecloth and tie it to the trigger wires. I have had many a cat go through without tripping the trigger when placing it at the back of the bucket.

Setting the bucket and trap inside the shed or garage with the door cracked works-the filthy things can't avoid exploring a building.

CW, i'll be sure and tell the next mink I catch to quit playing dead. By the way, he wants a way to get rid of cats on his property. I don't see why he can't use a connibear on his property. It's not like he has a cat furbearing season in his state.

I think I would shelve the 330's and go to a 220 or my personal favorite for this size animal a 160. The 160 is a deadly trap for a cat size animal and will almost always result in a quick kill by the neck. The problem you will find with the 330 besides the obvious overkill is you will probably miss more than you get and most of the feral cats that do trigger the trap will be caught back by the hips and take a long time to expire if not survive. Even if you do hate these pest you owe it to all trappers and the animals you trap to go for a quick humane kill. The 160 will require a little more ingenuity to find the right size bucket but they are out there. I use to make them out of plywood in a wedge shape. excellent coon killers./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

In this state/county there is not a law pertaining to trapping dogs or cats on private property and it is perfectly legal to do so. I agree that any animal caught in a trap deserves not to suffer, hence the questions on the #330. I don't trap as sport because I don't like to dispatch animals that have had to suffer. I would prefer to shoot the cats but due to the population of ppl in the nieghborhood is its not adviseable.

The cat that I did catch was caught around the neck and one leg. had to snuff this one out by means other then the trap. I think a #220 is in order. #330 sound like a good coyote trap. There are not any laws for trapping coyote here either because they are considered non-game animals. However When setting traps other non-target animals could get caught. So the traps will have to wait for the season to open.

I do plan on continuing to diminish the feral cat population.

cg, i have a problem with them here. i do live in the stick's how ever and for the most part when i see them the 3 s's come in to play. the local animal control officer is my wife's aunt and she told me do to the amount of cat's they get they don't normaly waste time or money on the feed for them. they just gas them, so she told me to just take care of them my way. but i will admit they do get some what smart after one or two get's poped you don't see them to much during the sun come's up till it go's down. and since the area i live in is more in the wood's but yet i still do have a few house's close by, and if they hear a shot after dark most of them think pocher's and make a call. so shooting at night is out for the most part. i do however have a few trick's that i do, that i will share with you.
normaly i just use a 22lr one round between the eye and all 9 live's are spent. for a night time shot i go to the local mini mart and buy a couple 20oz bottel's of pop or a couple two letter's or if you have a heavy barrel rimfire, buy a wide mouth 1 litter pepsi, drink or drain the pop out rense well. go to a medicen cabnet and grab any cling wrap or ace bandage, wrap the end of the barrel with it. then slide the pop bottel on to the barrel, but don't slide it all the way on so the barrel is touching the end of the bottel, doing so can blow the barrel up. just slide it to the end of the top part of the bottel (where your lip's go to take a drink) then use either more cling wrap or ace bandage or even tape (the reason i said wrap the barrel with a clean wrap is in case you use duck tape, so it don't leave the sticky gunk on your gun) and wrap around the end of the mouth piece and wrap so it all so hold's the bottel on and make sure there is no hole or any thing where the bottel's mouth is at you want this sealed up. then just wait to see the next one come in your yard, and pop it. (i am not responsable in any way shap or form for any mistack's that may couse a barrel bust or injury, i needed to say that just in case, but i have done it alot to help get rid of varmint's in place's that where close to people or in city limit's and not once have i had a problem). yes that trick of the trade sound's harder than it realy is, if you want p.m. me your e-mail address and i can send you pic's of how to do that, and you will see that it is very easy to do, it is just tuff to put word's to it for me any how. that is a cheep way to clean a few out, but it is only good for one shot with a rimfire only.
another thing i do in much larger city's or place's close to a police post (for some reason cop's don't like people shooting in city limit's, lol, j/k. i know why and i understand it as well) i live trap them. most hardware store's carry live trap's that are just the right size to catch a cat, coon or other critter's that are about that size. i think they run about $30.00 for one. i then make a stop at the local save-a-lot store and spend $2.00 on some tuna or sardien's (i work there as well and for the most part $2.00 buy's alot of bait. or if i am on shift some of them can's get dented or the wraper come's off some how and it become's free, lol.). when i set the live trap(the one i have is a older one that has a door that slid's down, it don't have the two drop door's like most have. it only has one and the other end is a dead end)i just take the lid off what ever it is i am using and leave it in the can and set the can all the way to the back. them pesty thing's go any where they smell food, so where you put it don't realy matter. once i have one, witch in most case's it is the same night i set it. i go and pick the trap and the critter in side up and take the thing for a ride out to a area there is nothing but wood's and dirt bike trail's. i carry my little single action ruger 22lr revolver and dispatch the critter with one round behind the ear, and leave it for coyote bait. now if by chance it happen's to have a coller on it, i then take it to the animal controle office. that way i don't have it on my mind that i might have just shot some kid's pet, i can't deal well wit that thought so i leave that to animal control, that's why they are there.
i haven't had a chance to buy one yet but no day's you can get a pellet rifle that is acctualy able to cleanly harvest deer size game. but a pellet rifle like that is a farly decent chunk of change. how ever they do have pellet gun's from a 177cal, all the way up to a big bore 50cal as they call it. i would think a 22cal pellet rifle whould be more than anuff gun to take a coon or other critter's of that size. i can't remember what issue it was but i have it some where. in predator xtreme a couple month's back they wrote about hunting coon with one and how the writer was only doing head shot's so they droped in there track's. every month predator xtreme has some thing in it about air rifle's and stuff that they hunt with them, for some info about air rifle's go to www.predatorxtreme.com and take a look in there air rifle area to read up on what would be good for that type of critter. to look at some high powered air rifle's to get some sort of idea as well on what would work best go to www.cobraairguns.com i am sure they will guide you in the right direction, just don't tell them that you will be using it on feral cat's. tell them coon's and bobcat's. the reason i am bring up a air rifle is because it is not only a good gun for taking care of your problem but it will all so be a very silent way to do it as well. and for the most part pellet gun's can be fired in side any city limit's with out breaking any law.
another thing i have done with them, when i did not want to make alot of noise from a rifle. i have used my bow, but i recamend using a couple old broad head's to do so. i am not meaning for them to be dull, bit the reason i say old is so it make's a fast quick clean kill and at the right angle you will pin it to the ground so it can not run like a deer. i made the mistake of using a practice tip one time when i was a young dumb kid, i am not going to go in to detail's here, but i will say that same one needed to be shot a week later with a rifle, and the arrow had hit right where i wanted it to behind the shoulder. so a b-head if doing it that way is a must, and a head shot would be the best bet so it don't get out of your yard.
it's kinda funny how this subject came up this week. i just recived my newest issue of predator xtrem and it had a segment in it about ferel cat's. i found it interesting as to how much damage they can realy do. it won't be on there web site yet i don't think, but it will be soon i think. if not pick a copy up, most people will be surised at how many bird's and thing's they will kill.
i know that i did not bring much up about the trap's you are using. the reason behind that is because i know nothing about trapping yet, but soon will i hope. but i used to have a real big problem with ferel cat's around my place and some friend's place's that i helped them out with. so i thought that may be some of the thing's i said might be of some help to you on how to do away with them with out running the risk of catching some thing you don't want to catch, and all so give them a little cleaner kill with out much suffering. i hope some where in all of what i wrote, there may be some thing that help's you out. good luck.
bow

Why not just get a rifle that will shoot shorts and get some CB shorts or subsonic rounds? They are not loud. Not any louder than a pellet rifle.

Quote:
CW, i'll be sure and tell the next mink I catch to quit playing dead. By the way, he wants a way to get rid of cats on his property. I don't see why he can't use a connibear on his property. It's not like he has a cat furbearing season in his state.

Dave;
I didn't say that a conibear wouldn't kill!
I did say that on land, this type of trap is not guaranteed to kill what it catches!

Some places getting rid of (shooting or trapping) cats and dogs on your property is also illegal!
This is why they have Animal Control Officers!

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't like wandering cats and dogs either and I will do what I have to, to get rid of them!
I was just talking about what is and is not humane and legal!

Chuck CG does not live in New York anymore nor do I, in his current place of abode he is perfectly legal in trapping cats. Animal Control officers will not respond to wandering cats as a feline at large is not a violation of our town code nor state laws. I use to live in the same house he is having a problem with cats and I hunted cats there too. It made for a lot of fun down time. I feel his pain when we put hundreds of $ into duck hunting in Southern Nevada and come home to someone's pet stealing our game. I'll gladly kill fluffy, trap fluffy and yes I would love to try to eat my neighbor’s cat too. They better hope it doesn’t taste like the other cat I like to eat so often, cause I'll be a cat kill'n fool. And GC has eaten a lot more disgusting things than I'll ever think of, and I know he's been itchen to try some four leged kitty.
o0o07q.gif
deb1.gif

I hunt a piece of property where the landowners wife has a bunch of cats and almost every time I see them, they are together. They get fed daily but still hunt for fun. I was sitting in the blind watching some does under the feeder and all of a sudden they got really skittish and left. About a minute later, 3 of her cats came wandering through and one of them caught a mouse around some cactus. None of them ate the mouse but the one that caught it just held it in its mouth and they walked away. I didn’t see any more deer that morning. A friend of mine told me that cat scat will keep deer away so it might be due to that. The cats also have a habit of coming right into my rodent distress noises when I predator hunt there at night and the landowner even came close to shooting one knowing damn well what it was until he decided that he didn’t want to sleep in the guest bedroom if his wife found out. Their youngest son got into trapping one fall and set out some of those 220 conibear traps and the cats started to “disappear”. His mom caught on after a while and that was the end of his trapping ventures.

Last edited:
Chuck White, you said, "In New York, it's against the law to set a Conibear (body gripping) trap on land!"

That is not true. You may use a body grip not exceeding 7.5 inches on land. I.E. a 220 at 7 inches is leagal. Other wise the body grip has to be set underwater. Just a clarafication.

Quote:
I'll gladly kill fluffy, trap fluffy and yes I would love to try to eat my neighbor’s cat too. They better hope it doesn’t taste like the other cat I like to eat so often, cause I'll be a cat kill'n fool. And GC has eaten a lot more disgusting things than I'll ever think of, and I know he's been itchen to try some four leged kitty.

now i don't care who you are that is funny right there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif . i have to say i agree how ever /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif. but what ever you guy's do just watch out for the jumping fle's they can jump 10 feet i hear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif then there might be a whole other type of trapping and shooting going on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.
any idea's on how to trap the two legged kind? i just don't want to end up trapped my self again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
bow

"now i don't care who you are that is funny right there . i have to say i agree how ever . but what ever you guy's do just watch out for the jumping fle's they can jump 10 feet i hear then there might be a whole other type of trapping and shooting going on .
any idea's on how to trap the two legged kind? i just don't want to end up trapped my self again
bow"

I believe that the two legged ones you talk of have traps of their own...its a four inch tunnel that is baited with a substance known to drive men crazy. Stay away from these traps as they will steal your money as well. Your hunting will also be sucked into this black tunnel as well. What ever one does stay away from the ulimate tunnel trap.

On a serious note. I am trying the #220 conibears soon. As there was that mix up I should be getting the right trap and trying again!!!!

Jedi.... I see you already have one of the two legged kind and the tunnel trap spent your money on a cleavage garage!!!

Today The Feral Cat Good Feline Extermination Gods Smiled down upon me. I was aware that the lady who lives next door to me had cats. I had seen the enemy sneaking in across from her direction. The front porch senser setting off the light has made me acutely aware of the enemy's wareabouts before the encounter, but due to the secrect mission I have set for myself I could not give myself up.

Today while scouting (and doing yard work) I chanced an ecounter to chat with the nieghbor harboring the feline. Come to find out she is a spy sent from the Good Feline Extermination Gods. Although she admitted that she abetted the feline inside her home, she also said she has kept them inside for the last 16 years... She too noted an influx of Feral cats in the vicinity and added that she even knew of them by color. Oddly, the colors I have been seeing... Then, she gave them up!!! With out promting she mentioned they should be SHOT!!! Astounded I asked, "Are you kidding?" Not wasteing a breath she said "Hell Yes, I am tired of them bringing all the dead animals to my house and leaveing them there. I can't kill them myself, but I wish someone would!!!" I let her know that if she heard a crack and a loud meow not to be alarmed!!!

Well there you have it, I am writing this post with traps set, the window open, rifle loaded with cb shorts, just waiting for the sener light to off letting me know the enemy target is approaching.... Gotta love recon!!

Paul

Hey paul? It's that time of the year again. Is she walking around in her birthday suit again? She may be setting up a trap of her own. Let me know, if you need me to go over there and pull yer leg out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Mike

Funny you should mention that Mike, I was thinking the same thing. I have had the #220 set now for several days and have not seen any cats. I also did not see even one of the enemy the past several "yard hunts". I am thinking that like any other cat maybe the weather warming up has effected them and thier feeding/killing habits. If the bait I have out in the traps is not working I may have to change it and try something of the fish or bird variety. Still 12 more cats to go. Unknowing the spy is helping me to reach my goals. I have been informed that 5 kittens are about to take the field on thier own soon. They have been harbored in the garage next door waiting for a turn to try out the wits of this [beeep] off P_ssy nabber!!! Paul

Back