Sweets 7.62 vs. Montana Extreme

RemVSSF

I need a really good copper solvent and I have seen it discussed on here before but i have a couple questions. I did a search and just couldnt come up with what i was looking for. I looked at a bottle of sweets and it said it was 5% ammonia. Does anyone know what percent ammonia the montana extreme is? Also, when using sweets, I heard that it cannot be used with a certain type of other solvent, what was this? Does sweets need to be neutralized after it is used and how do i go about doing this. Thanks.

I forgot to add.. Is there a limit to the max amount of time sweets can be left in the barrel?

Last edited:
I just looked on my bottle of ME 50 BMG and I didn't see an ammonia percentage listed. But judging from the vapors, it's some strong sh!t! And, it does work pretty well. JB also works.
Don't reel in horror, but many a benchrest shooter has taken a slightly undersized bronze bore brush and wrapped it with 4/0 STEEL WOOL anointed with their favorite solvent and used that to get the copper out. If you do this, do NOT pull the brush back into the barrel once it has exited the crown! Unscrew the brush each time it passes through the crown and retrieve the rod without the brush each time, then repeat until the copper is gone. On a badly copper fouled factory barrel, this could take a dozen or so passes. Always use a good bore guide. I'd try the solvent and JB first.
You can neutralize the ME or Sweets by drying the bore and using a couple patches with isopropyl alcohol. Dry the bore again and oil as usual.
Good luck,
F1

I only use Sweets in heavily copper fouled barrels. I don't let it sit in a barrel longer than 20 minutes and it will react with other chemicals. Butch's Bore Shine is by far the best solvent I've used. It is all that I use nowdays.
Speedy Gonzalez from Ft Worth Tx had a great article in the "Varmint Hunter Magazine" regarding proper cleaning techniques and a recipe for his own bore cleaner. A friend tried it and swears by Speedy's concoction. He said it worked way faster than Sweets. Next time I run across the article I'll post it.

Sweeet's and Shooter's Choice can cause corrosion if mixed, even in trace amounts. If you use Sweet's it is best to not use Shooter's Choice at all.

Jack

I agree with Jason Schmidt. The bore foam "Wipe Out" is the best I've seen. And I've tried almost all. The can says to leave it in for a minimum of 1 hr. I'll form it and let it set over night. The next day push about 5-10 patches down the bore and your done. Easy to use, and it works. No brush, no fuss.

(Disclaimer I receive no compesation for my endorsement of this or any products.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

wipe-out bore foam is a great cleaner if you have time, even with the accelerator. I use it most always and have been very happy. I think it is possibly the best cleaner I have used as far as work-vs-reward.

That said, for FAST and EFFECTIVE cleaning of BOTH copper and powder fouling, 50BMG is the cats azz. That stuff is super quick and very aggresive. Note also that the owner of montana extreme carries a cut off peice of stainless barrel in a mason jar with solvent in it (many years now) and there is NO corrosion or pitting.

Also, I called shooters choice and asked there tech dept about the sweets and shooters choice mixture, and they said as long as they were NOT mixed in the same container, the reaction would not take place. I had used shooters choice to wash out sweets and neutralize it in a bore, and was worried when I heard that, so I called and the response was that I was OK unless I mixed them in the same container. Needless to say, sweets is not to be left alone. Neutralize it with oil. Then when you are all done with that bottle, go straight to 50BMG. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Sweets 7.62 is water based and ammonia so don't leave it in the barrel very long as others have learned as hard lesson on almost ruining their barrel.

Montana Extreme and 50 BMG (stronger cleaner) is oil base so will not harm your barrel. Now ran my own test, used other copper removers commonly used including Sweets, Montana Extreme removed copper the others didn't

I talked to a gunsmith who attends Camp Perry and he stated majority of shooters have choosen Montana Extreme over the more popular/well known copper removers

I did a simple test of 4 bore cleaners used to remove copper. Placed 4 pennies on the bench. Put 1 drop of each cleaner on the pennies. Let set overnight. Only one that ate through the copper skin on the penny was Sweets. Bore cleaners used were: Sweets, Foresters foam, TM (from Sinclair), and Shooters Choice. Not the most scientific but proved to me that Sweets was the best of these four.

i was looking fore something to remove copper from my barrel also so i went to local gunshop to get some sweets 7.62 and they were out. So i ended up letting the guy talk me into buying some other stuff he claimed was better (havent used it yet to form a opinion) it is called Truly Remarkable Bore solvent and the brand is Tipton. have any of you tried this and if so what is your thoughts, also here is a link to the stuff on Midway's website.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=178747

If you go to a gun shop and they are out of the product you need, they will always try to sell you a lesser product and claim that it is as good or better. It's not. For example, your experience. Or rifles, hey I want a Savage 223. We don't have any but here's a Ruger it's just as good probably better why my grandmother shoots a Ruger 223 and she can hit mosquitos at 100 yards.

Back