Bushmaster questions

Double_D

I have the fever for a "black' rifle. From what I read, I could be on a very long and expensive path. I have found plenty to read on the Bushmaster varminter, but it seems I see written all over about how people wish they had the new Predator. Any real world experiences with the Predator?
I will be punching paper 90% of the time, but it will go on its share of hunts. Should I expect the same accuracy between the two. Also, I notice 2 different versions of the Varminter, one with a chrome moly barrel and one with stainless steel. What are the advantages of each of these barrels. Damn, just what I need, all ready out of room in the gun safe.

Thanks DD

well i dont have a Predator but ive fgot a 20" freefloated h-bar which is pretty much what a predator is. the predator has fluting on the barrel, mine doesnt. and the predator has the varminter free float tube. thats about it. mine has a 4 rail free floater. so id say damn similar. i love mine. accurate as hell.
the drawback i could see with the varminter is the 24" barrel is it really needed? i dont really think so. extra weight, extra lenght to try and possibly get through brush with, etc etc.
i would dare say the 20" can do just about anything a 24" could. im sure some will say well the 24 spins the bullet a bit faster, and more accurate and whatnot. how far you shooting to need the extra 4 inches?? if your goin out past 200-300 maybe even 400yrds? a 20" will do it. marines train out to 500 yrds with a 20" so its doable. past that use a 30 caliber.

hope this helped.

Double D,

Welcome to PM.

Be careful though, the AR bug is just a bad as the calling bug. Very addictive. I've seen many resist the urge to go black, but don't fret, it's a lot of fun. I saw where a guy wrote the other day where he fought the urge for years to purchase an AR but once he did he had no remorse for doing so. In fact, most that do wish they would have done so earlier. Easily the most enjoyable rifle you will ever shoot or own. The Mr.Potato Head like design of the AR platform makes it so adaptable to certain task this only add to it's apeal. It's not just an assault rifle any more. the AR's have proven themseleves time and time again over dog towns as well as calling stands to be not only a great rifle for the tasked but in many situation to be the best rifle for these task.

The difference between the "predator" and the "varminter" is the barrels. The varminter has a 24" fluted barrel with a 1-9 twist and the "predator" has a 20" fluted barrel with a 1-8 twist. I've never owned a Varminter but have been around many who have them and like them very much. I do have some real world experience with many Bushmaster rifles including the new "Predator". I have two "Predator"'s and they are both very accurate. I've only run three different factory loads through them both and they will consistantly shoot under and inch and in many cases half that (5 and 10 shot groups). I can't help but believe they would benifit with some load developement to the point they could consistantly shoot with any AR or bolt gun for that matter on the market today. Shooting tiny groups on paper with these rifles can be done without much difficulty.

The difference between the chrome moly and stainless barrels are not much, if any, IMHO. I'm sure some will diagree and that is fine but in my experience their not all that far apart. Personally I'd just as soon have a good chrome moly as I would stainless.

As a side note... I've also had a couple of chrome lined Bushy's that would out shoot most bolt guns and none that weren't very capable coyote rifles out to the 300 mark and further ( this 300 yard limit is more a function of my abilities and not the rifles).

My advise would be to get the 20" "Predator" over the 24" Varminter, but this is because the 24's are a little long for my likeing. This is a subjective thing however and many prefer the 16" and 24's. It would be a good idea to hanndle a few and then decide what fits you best. Don't fret though, at some point you will have them all. There is no known cure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Byron /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1-8 VS 1-9?

the 1-9 twist will shoot just about any bullet I will ever want the shoot at a coyote. It will easily stabalize any bullet up to the 69 MK's. If you ever see that you might want to shoot somthing heavier though you will need a faster twist like the 1-8. There has been a trend towards the heavier bullets in 223 for several years now, if you want to capitalize on these new bullets and loads I would suggest getting a 1-8 twist. Don't worry about having to much twist though as the 1-8's often shoot the lighter bullets just as well as the slower twist.

I don't care much for the short, light 223 bullets under 55 grains, and feel the mid-weight bullets from 55-65 grains are best suited for most coyote calling situations. If this is your case, the 1-9 will do anything you need, but keep in ming the 1-8 will do this as well with the added feature of being able to handle the heavies if called to do so.

My all around bullet of choice is the 60 v-max's loaded by Black-Hills. They shoot equally good out of both 1-9 and 1-8 barrels.

Byron

Based on the research I did prior to ordering an AR, I decided to go with a stainless 20" barrel with a 1:9 twist....I don't intend on shooting bullets over 60 grains in weight. This will be my primary predator/varmint rifle.

Thanks Byron,
My local Sportsmans Warehouse has the Varminter, so I have had my hands on it, and some Armalite's that they have. I have found the Predator online for about $980. I just got my FX3 last week. I am leaning toward the Predator, just because that seems what more people recommend, and Bushmaster seemed to make it to fill a customer request. If planning and spending money were all you needed to kill coyotes, I should have them stacked like cord wood in the back of my truck! LOL

Thanks to all

DD

I have the answer as to how to know what rifle is better.

I was sold on the varminter and still am.

The predator looks like it will also be a great rifle.

I am going to buy both. I can then see which twist and barrel length are the best for each situation.

Hammer

Very good price for a Predator. I paid $1039.00 for my new Bushy Varminter and will post some pics once I get her dressed out. I really think either gun would be an excellant choice for you Double D. Everyone talks about the additional weight and length of the Varminter over the Predator. The Varminter is exactly 4" longer in overall length (which makes sense /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif). The weight difference is 8.0 lbs for the Predator and 8.4 lbs for the Varminter. Now if 4" and .4 lbs is a problem then go with the Predator. For me, it was not even a factor to consider. The 9" will more than suit my purpose because a 69 grain bullet would be the heaviest I ever shoot through it. My Varminter is going to serve as a calling gun but she will do double duty as a Patrol Rifle in my car. That way we can spend more time together /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Well, I finally got the Black plague so bad that made my purchase. Its the local Sportsmans Warehouse's fault, 6% off all guns in stock. Damn if they did'nt have a Predator in the back just waiting on me. $967 plus tax, I think that I got a good deal, now to get a scope.
I have a Burris Fullfield II 4.5x14 that I will take off of one of my safe queens to start. Anyone try one of the Super Sniper scopes? They get good reviews but are a fixed power scope. The thing that intrigues me about them is the huge amount of adjustments. It has enough internal adjustments to allow me to shoot it on my clubs 600yd range, without the need for a 20 moa rail.
Looking forward to getting the gun to the range, and seeing what she will do.
I have a bunch of Hornady 60gr bullets that I load in my 22-250. This is my first 223, so I am not up to speed on what might be a good starting point. Suggestions will be appreciated, and any load data for this particular model will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks DD

Congrats on the black rifle! Welcome to the club! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I have found, (and Mike Milli @ D-tech, along with Byron South, and probably several others) that the Black Hills ammo is as good as anything else out there. The local Sportsman's Whse had BH here for $15.99 a box. That's UNREAL. Midway is as cheap as I have seen otherwisw @ $20.99. So....check out your local Sportsman's Whse. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

My rifle likes the BH 52gr Match HP, and like Byron said, mine also likes the 60gr V-Max.

Check several rounds in your barrel and see what it likes. AR ammo is cheap......and FUN to burn up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I recently bought the Bushmaster Predator and topped it with a Burris 4x-16x-44 with posi-lock. With a 1:8 twist this should be a great long range (600 max) target and a great coyote rifle. My price new was $1035 +, as my wife works for Sheels I could have bought a DPMS for a lot less,but the guy in charge was a XXXXXXX.
AR shooters should check out the posi-lock system. Its not so much the recoil that affects scopes, but the cycle of a smi-auto.
Jim

My experience on the two barrel twists in the AR has been stated many times. The 1 in 9's usually are finicky about factoery loads they like for accuracy. Generally, they like the 52-55gr loads. Some maybe a little different. The 1 in 8's generally seem to shoot all bullet weights well and more factory loads than the 1 in 9's. The 8's are the way to go in an AR in my experience as they do not limit you to a certain range of bullets.

Thanks guys, I have a large selection on .224 bullets to play with. When you reload for the AR15, do you need small based dies, or will regular do ok?

You absolutely do not need a small base die. It will only overwork the brass and diminish accuracy. Some Rugers like a SB die but otherwise steer clear of them.

Jack

I gave $1049 for my Bushmaster Predator. I really like it, it shoots 53gr hp real well, not got a chance to try the Black Hills 60gr V-max but going to as soon as I get the chance. I have a Nikon 4X12 Monarch mounted on it.

Quote:
This is my first 223, so I am not up to speed on what might be a good starting point. Suggestions will be appreciated, and any load data for this particular model will be greatly appreciated.

25.5 gr. H335 in WW case pushes 55 gr. Nos. BTs at 3180 fps using CCI primers from my Predator. Shoots in the .3's @ 100 yds with the Burris 4.5-14 x 44. Note: Nosler loading manual calls for 23.0 start to 25.0 MAXIMUM, so, as per usual, start low and work up to what your rifle likes.

Great little rifle and congratulations on a great price.

Regards,
hm

Back