north texas

sniper1020

Does anyone know where I can hunt coyotes close to ft. worth? The only place I know of is the caddo grasslands and that is at least 1 1/2 hours away. I also have to wear hunter orange in the grasslands. Any help with loads for a .270 to use on coyotes would also be appreciated. Only factoy ammo, I don't reload. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by sniper1020 (edited 03-30-2001).]

Hey Sniper,
I am in N. Central Tx. and all I can tell you is get out and beat the bush and knock on doors. In this part of the country it is hard to find people in the country to let you hunt. Don't take this wrong, but the city idiots are ruinning our free hunting in the country. I know that the farmers and ranchers need money too, but we the real hunters need to realize we are making them money by hunting the coyote and cat for free. Livestock and deer fawns are worth alot more than a coyote on the resale scale!!!! Be a salesman and sale yourself to these needy people with a predator problems... >270 loads are hard to find for a coyote load unless you reload.. I personnally re-load and I know that I can't beat a Speer 90 grain T-N-T hollow point for saving hides. If you don't care about the hide try the Speer 100 grain hollow point and you then will understand red mist. Try light grain bullets like 120 grain factory loads. Hope this helps some!!!

------------------
Bus-Bus

[This message has been edited by Bus-Bus (edited 03-30-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Bus-Bus (edited 03-30-2001).]

Sometime your coming toward Mineral Wells let me know and me and Songdogger maybe can take you hunt'n with us if we have the time to go!!

------------------
Bus-Bus

Sniper, check out the LBJ Grasslands. They are a little split up but it's a pretty fair sized parcel of land. Their main office is in Decatur right off of 287. Most of the land is around Boyd and Decatur.

------------------
B.Pierce

I'll give it a try. Thanks.
I can't really find any info on LBJ, just caddo. Any ideas where to look?

[This message has been edited by sniper1020 (edited 03-31-2001).]

Well guys,
Nice to see a few more North Texas hunters in here.I'm from just south of Sherman. I have heard of these "grasslands" but never been there.Where exactly are they and how do yall get to hunt them.Right now I've been hunting a bunch of private land on the ranches around here.We seem to have alot more yotes this year than I've seen in the past.But it's getting pretty slow cause of all thw rain.Anyways maybe we can get a little north texas hunt together some time.

Later,
Justin

Justin, all you need is a public hunting permit (in addition to your liscence) and they will send you a map of all the public land in texas. Unfortunatly the way I read the regs. during daylight you have to wear orange even to hunt coyotes. A north texas hunt is definatly in order here where ever we go
smile.gif

SENT YOU SOME NICE INFO, HOPE IT HELPS,
ALSO, SINCE IM FROM THERE, DO LIKE THE
OTHER GUY SAYS, GET A PUBLIC LANDS PERMIT
FROM TPWD, THERE IS A TON OF COYOTIE LAND
THERE FOR YOUR SHOOTIN PLEASURE, OH AND
ON THE GRASSLANDS, BE VERY CAREFULL THAT
WHEN YOU SHOOT, IT GOES OVER JUST THE
GRASSLANDS, NOT OVER PRIVATE PROPERTY
AND CHECK THE RULES FOR THEM, THEY CHANGE
SEASONALLY, CALL AND TALK TO THE RANGER
OFFICE THERE, GET NAMES OF WHO YOU TALK TO
AND HAVE THEM SEND YOU THE BIG BROCHURE PACKET, IT NICE! ALSO, THERE IS NORTH OF
FT WORTH, A HUGE BOYSCOUT CAMP, ITS HUGE, IT HAS A OLD BUFFALO SOLDIER POST ON TOP OF A
HILL THERE, THE RANCH NEXT TO THE CAMP IS
PRIVATE PROPERTY, GET THE LADYS PH NO# FROM
THE SCOUT BLD, ITS MANNED YEAR ROUND, CALL HER AND ASK IF YOU CAN HUNT VARMITS, THERES LIONS THERE ALSO SO BE CAREFULL
ALSO, PUT AN AD IN THE NEWSLETTER AT THE FT
WORTH CATTELMENS ASSN, AND THE SHEEP BREEDERS
ASSN, THEY LOVE COYOTE HUNTERS!

ANYTIME, ASK IF I CAN HELP SOME MORE,
I WILL TELL YOU THAT THE FARMS AROUND
LAKE TEXOMA ARE JUST UP TO THEIR EARS IN COYOTIES, THE FARMERS THERE WOULD PROBABLY
LIKE SOME HELP BLASTIN THEM! LOT OF BIG RANCHES UP THERE, PUT A AD IN THE LOCAL
PAPER OR FARMIN WEEKLY,OR WHATEVER THEY
GOT,PENNYSAVER MABY, LOOK AROUND POTHOLE TEXAS.

Back