My one experience with varmint hunting...

NH Hunter

One thing I love to do is hunt turkeys in the spring. You wear camo from head to toe with facemask and gloves to boot.

Anyway, coyotes will sometimes stalk your calling and this one morning I had two show up and ruin my hunt.

The day after turkey season ended, I was back in the same piece of woods with a rabbit squealer. Right at daybreak, I let loose with three long cries then followed it up with progressively quieter calls. I don't think I waited more than ten minutes and a coyote came over the knoll at 35 yards and stood there lookin'. I had all my turkey gear on and he never saw the slow move I made to get the .243 up and on him.

Made it look awful easy but I know it isn't. I was just wondering if any of you guys ever use a turkey call on coyotes?

NH

I have used a goose and duck call to get coyotes in.

I have never used a turkey. But it should work as well.

I have had hunters ask how to make them a distress call.

I have not used a duck or goose call and make it a distress call. I use it like it was intended to be used. The coyotes would just come in to the call. No distress to it.

------------------
Kevin Bowler
Support NRA Vote Freedom First

Last spring before turkey season, I was at work. and was praticing, my yelp and clucks, look up,and outside the fence was two coyotes watching me, never saw them come in.

Never intentially used turkey call for coyotes, but been thinking about it. This last spring I was guiding and calling for a friend that had never turkey hunted. Well he scewed the pooch on a gobbler that I called in for him. We kept at it thought, and about 30-45 min later a coyote came to the call. My buddy was about 10yds in front of me and the coyote took a 12guage 3inch mag #6's from about a foot in front of his muzzle. bang---->flop, it was pretty neat.

------------------
shoot straight

I use, and have to account many coyotes to a triple reed diaphram.

Seems to work like a dream.

The best part is there isn't even any turkeys were I live. I think it is just the sound your putting out there. Meaning I don't believe it is of any benifit to have "studio quality" lol sound.

Ryan

Back