Any tips for hunting coyotes in Alabama?

elbarcher34

Hey all new to the site and am learning to hunt coyotes in Alabama. My first attempt was last year with a electronic caller. I managed to call in one coyote and a bobcat last year. This year no coyotes but I had a fox respond. The reflexes on this thing was unbelievable. By the time I saw it, it was 15 yds out and at 10ft before I could aquire it in my sight it saw the movement and was gone in a flash. Back to the question what can I do to have more responses. I use camo to the fullest,headnet,gloves and my weapon(.300 whisper). Just frustrated anyone in here got experience coyote hunting in Alabama. I primarily bowhunt for deer and am very scent aware so I dont think scent is the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Just keep at it and sooner or later your luck will change, this isnt the easiest time of the year for calling so be patient and keep at it. Sounds like your doing it right so far.

Fellow Alabama predator hunter here, just keep after them and use the wind. I hunt a lot of agricultrue fields from November to March for the best time of the year when the crops are gone and visibility is good. Use the wind to your advantage and keep your eyes peeled.

I have hunted them in Alabama for the past 18 years. What sounds are you using? What kinds of areas are you hunting? Are you able to set up where you can see the coyote coming and see him if he tries to circle downwind of you? In this part of the country it often helps to have a calling partner who can watch the back door. If possible hunt them in clear cuts, pastures, on power lines and anywhere you have a good field of view for several hundred yards. Don't give up. It took me a full year to call the first one. You are doing better than I did.

Thanks guys I try to call where I have the most visibility but there are alot of hills and thick brush in this area. I try to switch up sounds from one stand to another like the distressed cottontail(which I have called in the one yote and fox with),distressed woodpecker(nothing but hawks),Dennis kirk coon pupies(the bobcat showed on this one). It seems that in the hills the wind swirls bad as I have found out bowhunting deer and been foiled by errant wind. It seems that on the most visible areas I have not had anything show. I try to stay at least 30 min. to an area. Is that too short? I vary calling sequence as well and the success I have had has been in the first 1-5 min. range. Should I stay longer? What parts of Alabama you fellas from? I am in Central Alabama just 30 miles south of Birmingham. So far I am the lone ranger as all my buddies wont go with me.

Hey Alabama,

Can you night hunt there? I know the laws vary a lot from state to state but this really opened the door for me. Nothing like seeing those big glowing eyes coming to the call. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Unfortunately no night hunting in Alabama. Coon hunting by dogs only at night is legal and that is not my cup of tea. I sure wish it was legal though. I cant count the number of times as it got dark that the Yotes went ballistic while deer hunting and that has got me into calling them.

I will definitly follow up on the tips. Thanks for the info. Yes I work for a plumbing supply in Pelham. V&W Supply doing counter sales. I am the guy taking the orders to get them to the plumbers on the job site. We deal primarily with residential plumbing the commercial stuff is a different world. I have limited success calling vermin so far but to say that I have gotten the predator bug is an understatement.

Back