6mm Remington model 7

Ronald

Got an old Remington model 7 in 6mm Remington. A buddy of mine bought the rifle new in 1984 when we were freshmans in high school.
He sold it to me a couple years ago.
The barrel is shot out on it and I am going to get a new 6mm barrel screwed on, "probably a stainless Shillen", and get a new light weight stock fitted for this rifle. I will get the bolt lugs and scope rings lapped and get the action and barrel bead blasted to matte them out.
I want to make this a totally tuned rifle from the ground up.
Kind of torn between a 22" barrel and a 24" barrel.
Going to be a 1 in 10 or 1 in 9 twist. Plan on using 100 grain Nosler BT's and 70 grain Nosler BT's for this deer/coyote rifle.
What do you guys think? A 22" or a 24"????????? Thanks, Ron

My brother-in-law had a Model 7 in 6mm. That was his favorite rifle, loved it for deer hunting. I've got one in a 243 and 7mm-08. Too bad the 6mm has fallen by the wayside. It's a great cartridge. I don't think you'll go wrong with that one, and it's good to build it from the ground up as you say, get it the way you want it first time. For me personally, I'd want the 22" barrel. As 1bodyman said, keep it light and that will make it a very neat carry gun. Should be really sweet. Now you've got me to wanting one! Ha. Hope you enjoy it. Keep us posted once the project is finished, and post some pictures.

Good shooting.

You might want to think about a 20" barrel. Otherwise the 22" would be a very good choice. If, however, you were to decide to take it to a pdog town the 24" would be better.

6mm Rem. is a great round. I bought a Ruger 77 chambered in 6mm about 30 years ago with my paper route money, still own it. Great coyote round, mines taken a bunch. My brother shoots a Model 7 in .243, nice rifle. Personally I'd go with the 22" tube, I'd keep the gun as light as possible, that's what those Model 7's are all about. Congrats on a nice rifle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I agree that the 6mm is a dandy cartridge, and that the Model Seven is a dandy rifle. The only argument I might have is Shilen barrels, I've heard some ugly things about them washing out too quickly. I'd go with Pac-Nor, other than that, sounds like you got a good plan going on.

Thanks for the input guys. I will probably go with the 22" tube or maybe even shorter. Should be real nice as a short light rifle. I bought a Leupold 2-7X33mm Vari-X II scope for it. I'll put up some pictures when its finished. Ron

Ronald, don't be afraid of going shorter... my Dad's Rem 600 only has a 18.5" barrel and it shoots great. It loves bullets from 90gr to 70gr, that gun can lay in some fantastic groups for such a "work horse" style rifle. I would go with the 1-9 twist it will do the duel duty you are looking for.

The 6mm Rem should be right there with the 243 Win... the problems that Remington had back in the infant stage of that cartridge (the old 244 Rem) screwed it of for a long time. I like the 6mm over the 243 for the fact that it has a longer neck and more case volume. Loading for Dad's has always been a walk in the park. Good luck and we want to see some pics of that gun when it is finished! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ronald, I did the same thing to a Remington 600 6mm. I put a 22" 5 contour 10 twist Shilen on it. The gun is a dream to shoot. It will stuff 5 shots of either 70gr BT's, 75gr Sierra HP's or Hornady 100gr SP in one neat little 5 shot cluster. I mainly shoot the 75's nowdays. They perform best on coyotes but the 70 BT's are very wicked on PD's. The 100 grainers have taken their share of whitetails and coyotes.

Back