Tips from the Pro's to the Newbies

connman

If I could be so bold as to start another topic. I am new to this form of hunting, but am very intrigued and would like to start off on the proper footing. Could some of you seasoned pros give us newbies some advise such as
1. When you scout
2. What you look for
3. Time of day to scout and hunt
4. What sequence do you typically call
5. How long between calls
6. When to cut and move to another stand
7. anything else that I forgot to ask because I just don't know the right questions

------------------
There are two good times to hunt...when it's raining and when it's not.

Con,
No pro's here, that's another board called the Co%*%* G#*'s and we can't talk about that here.

What I can tell you is get out there and experiment!
I'll take one of your questions: When do you walk away from the stand? Well, I'm sure we all walk away too soon sometimes. Now and then we will know it when we spot the game sprinting away. We probubly don't know about most we left lurking. But as a general rule, 10-20 minutes is enough for most coyote stands. Cats can take much longer. If you enjoy the sitting and watching, stay 30 min., you will be rewarded now and then.

Paul
Opp's, wrong flag!

------------------
"watch your backside"

[This message has been edited by Predator Paul (edited 12-12-2001).]

Conn,
I'm no pro either,as a mater of fact I just started hunting coyotes .But I scout as I am walking to and from a stand.You never know you might see a good area for the next time you are there.
I look for tracks, scat(coyote Poop)
Scout all the time while out.Anytime is a good time to hunt.The more stands you make the better your odds of calling in a critter and having an opportunity to take a shot.

Me and another memberof this board (Reaper) hunted last saturday all day we made about 20 stands.2 of which produced critters that we seen, we took one nice male(that isn't to say that more didn't come in but that is all we actually seen).We stayed on a stand about 30 minutes each.It seemed to work for us.You just have to get out there and see waht works for you .Good luck and have fun and be safe.Keep us posted of your progress.

------------------
Ray
"Any bad day huntin' is bettern any good day workin'"

"If they run they will only die tired"

Hey Connman. Scout any time you are outdoors or hunting anything else. Listen for howling in the predawn and dusk times. Look for coyotes, bobcats or their droppings. Sneak into the area you are going to call with the wind in your face and begin calling with a quiet series in case one is laying close. Get louder and then get quieter again as the time on stand increases. I like to call into areas of thick cover so that they have to come into the open to get to the call. I usually wait a minute between calling times of 15-30 seconds. I tell you all this but I don't think much of it is important except keeping the wind in your favor. I do think that it is really hard to get coyotes in close when the wind is blowing hard because they circle downwind at long distance. If I have to call in strong wind, I try to have a good view for at least 200 yards downwind. Just get out and hunt. The sound is not important. If you call them, they will come....eventually you'll start having success.

Back