Battery and charger ?

Fishwrestler

Was at RS today and they have the following batery and charger for $24.99. Will this work to run my Velleman (K4001)amp and my nady reciever?
Here is the information I got on it.

Charge 9.6V 1600mAh Ni-MH battery packs in about 8 hours or Ni-Cd 1000mAh battery packs in about 5 hours.

9.6V, 1600mAh Ni-MH battery pack gives more power than standard batteries
Safety Guard timer won't overcharge your battery--helps preserve battery life
Ni-MH or Ni-Cd battery selection

What's in the box
9.6V 1600mAh Nickel-Metal Hydride Battery Pack (23-331)
Charger (charge Ni-Cd or Ni-MH batteries)
Owner's manual

Sounds like you're nearly there! And yes, that pack would work okay, but the MAH rating is only middlin' nowadays.

Duracell and Eveready now have 2500/2600 MAH Ni-MH AA cells for about a 60% improvement in capacity over that 1600 MAH pack. You can usually find them for under ten bucks for a pack of 4 at Target or WallyWorld. An 8-cell AA holder will set you back maybe a dollar forty-nine. For a charger you can get a Universal Smart Charger online for cheap (like $15, IIRC) that'll also be automatically be voltage sensing, won't overcharge, and it'll boost them up all at once from flat in a couple of hours. Or, if you're in even more of a hurry, Target has the Eveready 15-minute charger that will zap four at a clip, comes with both its own wall wart and also a 12v accessory plug (cigarette lighter plug). For a while there last year, Target had 4 of the 2500 MAH Evereadys and 2 AAAs bundled with it for around $27, though the chargers I've seen there lately don't have the higher capacity AAs in the set.

(Note that the RayOVac fast chargers that you might find right next to the Eveready one require RayOVac batteries, as the shutoff circuit is contained in the batteries. The Eveready fast-charger will work with any NiMH AA or AAA cell.)

LionHo

I got to thinking (dangerous) after the fact. I'm not sure which Nady system you plan on ordering. I know 9.6 volts would be fine on the LT series Nadys, but what about the DWK (or whatever it is) series? I *think* it requires 12 volts on the receiving end? Ya might be a lil shy on voltage if you are going that route. So I guess maybe it depends on which Nady you plan on using. Just thought I'd throw that out there for your consideration.

Back