K -Falls fur auction

1 Shot

Spent Friday at the Klamath Falls,Oregon fur auction. Bobcats did well there. Alot of them were selling in the $300.00 range. Some of the bigger and well spotted ones were selling in the $500.00 to $600.00 range. I saw one lot of 25 New Mexico cats sell for $7865.00.

Is that a state auction and how do you get your fur up there. Also, what percentage does the auction house keep? How did the coyotes do up there? I plan on putting up a lot of fur next season and I'm gonna try to do better than what the local buyers can offer. Any help is appreciated. It really [beeep] me off to find out the cat market is that strong when there's one buyer here that it's like pulling teeth to get 80 bucks out of him for a good cat. I sold to a different buyer this year and it was no problem to get 80-100 bucks, no wonder, still highway robbery.

Larry- try the 20-35 we get over here in East Texas. A few went for $60.

The thing with bobcats, they have to be tagged to cross state lines, so they know where the come from.

The western cats are supposedly better than ours. I don't know if they would bring the same when they know where they came from. It would sure test to see if they really are better, or the buyers here are just saying that.

It is a silent bid auction put on by the Oregon Territorial Council on Furs Inc.(503-266-5540) They bring in bidders from a large area. I'll post Coyote prices when they send me a sale summary. They get six percent of the selling price and have four sales a year in Oregon. K Falls is the last one of the season.

Lance, New Mexico is not that "northern" to me. I think it's all smoke and mirrors. Does this look like a hundred dollar cat to you.

firsthunt05010.jpg

Last edited:
Im not the fur buyer Larry, But I can tell you that cat does not have the fur even out southern Nevada cats from higere elevation has. Texas has always had cats with awesome spots, but I guess they are lacking in some other areas. New Mexico , depending on where you are at, has some pretty high elevations. Northen Arizona cats are different (as far as condition of fur) than southern AZ. Northern Nevada cats bring far more than southen Nevada cats. There is no doubt you could get more for your cats than you are if you sold them else where. But doubt they will pull the 3-600 northen (relative term) cats re bringing.

By the way. Nice looking cat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
Look at the difference in the thickness of fur compared to this one from southern Nevada.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/Lance30/05-06%20hunt%20pics/GBbobcat1.jpg

Lance, did you sell that one? What did it bring?

Here is a $20 and a $35. I got $35 for the other 3 bobcats I sold too.

1-27-06Twobobcats.jpg

No, I did not sell it.

Cal Taylor may be a good one to talk about cats and how they are graded. He sells alot of northen pelts.

Trust me they can tell the difference. At our fur action we make the buyers put in silent bids, and 6 buyers will grade almost exactly the same, without knowing what the other guys are doing. The highest bids are always on the same lots, and the lower bids are too.

This is a furred up, well colored, very high dollar cat. No comparison to the short haired reddish southern cats.

var%20052.jpg

Here's my boy with another fur ball.

var%20070.jpg

Here's my second batch of cats sold this winter. These are the late cats, so you can really see how they hair up. These cats topped the our fur sale. They were the top lot out of nearly 300 cats.
var%20075.jpg

Last edited:
It pays to play there don't it! That ended up being a pretty good chunk of change.

I just wish me could get that kind of price hear. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I guess what they lack in quality we can way more than make up for in quantity. I know guys that call and kill around 45 cats a year and have heard of 11 shot in one night in a contest. One of the last contests we hunted 2nd and 3rd had 8 a piece. Also we don't just have the red phase cats, I've killed blue and blonde cats here also. If we get a good winter one of these days they should look a little better. We're at 3200 feet here and it can get cold, come on down and ride in my high chair all night in the 11 degree weather if you doublt that.

Back