Ruger MK II accuracy.

slicktree

I'm thinking about getting a Ruger Mark II. Anybody having any accuracy problems or are they as good as a 10/22. Looking at a stainless. It has a real smooth trigger.

Quote:
I'm thinking about getting a Ruger Mark II. Anybody having any accuracy problems or are they as good as a 10/22. Looking at a stainless. It has a real smooth trigger.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif You did not say if you were getting a Mark II pistol or rifle. I will give you advice on both as I have both, just not the 77/22. The Ruger MK II pistol is the most accurate 22 pistol that I have shot. Mine is the "Slab-side Competition Target". It came with scope mounts and I use to have a 2-7X scope on it. Since then I took the scope off because I could hit anything just as well without the scope and I do mean anything. i use this gun allot to hunt Jackrabbits with.

The MkII rifle is a great gun, after you do the trigger. Both guns are about as tough as you could get for the price...JOHN

Since you refer to a 10/22, I'd guess you're talking about the pistol.....

A few years ago, I owned a 5 1/2" stainless bull barrel. Unbelievable accuracy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif I made the mistake of putting a red dot scope on it; that made hitting squirrels such a sure thing that it took all the fun outta shootin' up the wooods! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The only reason I sold it was that I gave up hunting - stooopid me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Right now, I have a 6" S&W 617.
It does not have an edge in accuracy over the Mk II.

Buy the gun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
You'll love it!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

me!

I have a 77 mark II stainless 7mm mag and a 77/22 mag all weather with target barrel, and i'll give them up when they pry my cold dead fingers off them. You can drive nails with both of them

Sorry about that. A Mark II pistol. I have 2 Browning Buck Marks but stayed away from the Ruger pistols because of mounting a scope. Now I see you can mount a scope rail on some with no drilling. Took the wife to Gander mountain, she saw the stainless Ruger, would need drilled for a scope but just had to have it. She'll use iron sights anyway. Really is a nice looking gun.

If you're talking about the pistola grab it. From my experience they are TOUGH, accurate and reliable. The shorty in the pics has ridden in all my vehicles for the past 18 yrs. (wow, that makes me feel old) and other than having a 2nd rate aftermarket magazine it shoots like a dream . Never jamed or stovepiped and is as accurate as my eyes can make it. I carry it hunting with me also due to its weight and accuracy.
1.jpg

The target model was my Dad's untill he traded it to me for a shotgun. It is also a tack driver and I've seen him make some bizzare/crazy accurate shots with it. It is a little on the heavy side but still fun to shoot.
2.jpg

Trashcan

Last edited:
I have 13 both pistols and rifles, and I absolutly love my semi bull barrel 22-250 w/laminated stock. I have had 1 red lable shotgun and had to send it back due to the rib fell off, and heard about alot more doing the same.

I'm having photobucket issues right now, so no pics.
My personal MarkII pistol is the bull barrel Gov. Target Model. My Dad bought me the gun for college graduation 16 years ago and it shoots like a dream. The trigger was a little gritty and sloppy and the front sight came loose easily. Loc-tite solved the site and a local gunsmith tuned up my trigger. These two minor issues are all I have experienced over sixteen years of "run it hard and put it away wet" conditions. A couple years ago I bought some Crimson Trace lasergrips. The lasergrips have made the pistol twice as fun to shoot. It is no problem to chase shotgun shells and golf balls from 25 yards and out. My model is heavy, but it helps it "hang" nicely for offhand shooting. It has been years since I shot it for group size but I recall having no problems shooting 2" and smaller ten shot groups rested at 25 yards with ammo it likes. I don't even get picky with what ammo I feed it now, usually buyign whatever is on sale. Stingers are my favorite=fast and fun, and I avoid Yellowjackets as I have had one smash/stovepipe on the feed ramp. Other than that they all shoot good.

My oldest son (now 11) has "carved" pumpkin faces at 15 yards with the help of the laser sights and truely has a blast each october.

In my opinion the Ruger MarkII is indestructible, accurate, and well built.

Todd

Quote:
Sorry about that. A Mark II pistol. I have 2 Browning Buck Marks but stayed away from the Ruger pistols because of mounting a scope. Now I see you can mount a scope rail on some with no drilling. Took the wife to Gander mountain, she saw the stainless Ruger, would need drilled for a scope but just had to have it. She'll use iron sights anyway. Really is a nice looking gun.

slicktree,
The Competition Target model comes with a scope mount and rings. The gun is a little pricey for some but is a great gun, SUPER ACCURATE!!!...JOHN

Have three of them. One like the thin barrel model pictured above. The other two have bull barrels. My favorite is the government Model. They will all shoot better than I can.

They really are great 22LR pistols. I have owned many different models in the last 45 years. I just can't think of a downside to them.

Jack

If I had to say anything negative about the Mk II Pistol, I would have to say learn how to do the take down. We used to get people all the time come into the shop with their pistol taken down and could not figure out how to reassemble it. It is not hard, once you see how it is done...JOHN

...i have a friend that just got the Mark II in Stainless haevy target, and it is very accurate and he is very happy with it...

It is a great pistol and cheap too. I have had many models in the last 45 years, all have been great. True, for 4 times the price you can buy a slightly better pistol, but VERY FEW can shoot well enough to see the difference.

Jack

Quote:
It is a great pistol and cheap too. I have had many models in the last 45 years, all have been great. True, for 4 times the price you can buy a slightly better pistol, but VERY FEW can shoot well enough to see the difference.

Jack

I hear you Jack. Maybe rosewood grips and a little tweeking here and there doesn't justify doubling the price. For 249.00 I couldn't pass it up. Now if she can knock a coon out of a tree with it. LOL. The woman has always amazed me at how good of a shot she is.

Back