What is your hit / miss ratio on coyotes?

dave3006

I went out today in the So. California high desert and hunted coyotes.

I made about ten 20 minute stands. I called in one double. Then, I missed at about 75 yards.

1. Just out of curiousity, out of every ten stands - how many times do you typically call in a coyote?

2. What percentage of the time are your shots successful?

I am still new at this game and have soooo much to learn. I want to get better. But, being in the outdoors by myself and just seeing the two coyotes come in today made the whole day worth it. I am hooked.

Our ratio went way up this year....during the Sept/Oct/Nov part of the season, we called yotes in on 70%-80% of the stands....It fell off some in Dec to about 40%, then back up to about 50-60% in Jan.....

We called in/shot 33 yotes and 4 bobcats this season.....I believe we missed 5 or 6 shots...

Joe

Depends on the area,some areas we call I would expect 4 or 5 coyotes or even more to come in. Other areas we would be very fortunate to call one in.As far as percentage goes we usually get about 75-80% of the coyotes we call in.Good Hunting Chad

I'm getting from your post how many yotes am I calling in on the stands? for Me not many. In past years I've had really good results night hunting "trolling" what I call it, but I go mostly for cats then. Hits are about 99.9%
Mike

I've shot 68 coyotes, called in 130, set ups 197, trips out was 42 days, eather all day " sunup to sun down" or some were half days. Thats from 1 october to 15 febuary.

The pups are out around here in Idaho. There was two hit on I-84 south of Boise last week.

So I will leave them alone till this fall. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif GENE'O

In october-november if I call up coyotes on 6-7 out of 10 stands thats good, in december-january 5 out of 10 thats really good, and febuary-march 3-4 ot of 10 stands thats very good also. But it really depend on the area you are hunting in high pressured coyotes and these numbers go down. Areas where they have never heard a call (if there is such a thing) and you may have even better success.

Everything depends. Here in NM you can shoot coyotes from a truck, my truck is set up to do just that so my persentage is very high 95+%.
On the other hand, making brush stands that persentage goes down to maybe 65 to 75%.
Numbers of animals called depends on where I'm hunting. I've hunted places where you get animals on almost every stand, many times more then one. I've also hunted places where you don't call anything.
On an average I'd have to say one animal for every 4 or 5 stands would be a good average. That's why I make as many 10 or 12 minute stands in a day as I can.

This winter:
60% of stands had responders
shots taken @ responders vs out of range/no shot taken=50%
hits with 1 shot=75%
averaged 6 stands @ day
hunted 46 days from 11/1/05 to 3/1/06

Gene'o
you said pups are out? last years or this years pups? isnt it way to early for this years? and when should this years be out running around?
Thank you
Bob

Since you addressed it Bob, I will too. Idaho is in the center of canis latrans lestes range. Generally, the alpha bitches breed around the middle of Feb. Gestation is 63 days placing whelping at about the middle of April. Beta females sometimes breed as much as 30 days after the alphas, whelping as late as the middle of May. I know the nine breeding pairs on the Idaho National Lab. whelp around April 15. At the very least they will be two months old before the pups do any exploring by themselves. So pups on the highway shouldn't be observed until at least the middle of June. July is a better bet. A three month phase shift in breeding season is a big change in a monestral mammal.
A spanner in the works occassionally occurs. Leonard Bosinski and his son shot a small coyote pup on a contest hunt in the month of January a few years ago. Leonard was hunt co-ordinator for Califonia Varmint Callers Association for 13 years and personally checked and handled an absolutely huge number of coyotes and foxes. He knows the difference between those two animals and their pups.

Rich, I have only been at this about a year. But, every single coyote I have ever called in has come within 5 minutes. Yesterday, the two I shot at came in right on scedule - 5 minutes.

She had a great novice season and didn't miss a single animal. From 25 yards to 285, bobcat, fox or coyote. Mountains, chaparral, or desert. This is what a double in the California desert looks like. CZ .223 .45gr white box 115 yds, 285 yds - November Club Hunt - Third Place.

LizsDouble.jpg

Nahuatl, great job of teaching. When you tell people she didn't miss that would be kinda hard for most to understand. Must be something we know others don't? AAwwww, some know lol. Again, she did a great job. A couple more years and she'll have her 100 animal bowl.

100% when I have a gun...

Well I have not seen a coyote when I have had a gun with me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

Quote:

1. Just out of curiousity, out of every ten stands - how many times do you typically call in a coyote?

2. What percentage of the time are your shots successful?

1. There are an endless amount of factors that go into this. Area, time of year, pressure, wind, weather, time of day, predator population, prey population, experience with the area, etc...

I've hunted in the following states, this season, resulting in 93 or 94 kills. Here is a guestimated % of responses on stands.

Iowa - 5% (Majority of my calling, I was dry for the first 31 stands, still trying to figure this state out)
Illinois - 40% (100% in one area, 0% in another)
Idaho - 65% (Normal average is around 50%, but took 10 years to get it right)
Nevada - 55% (Same as Idaho)
Texas - 40% (Almost 100% during day, but 2% at night...same areas)
Nebraska - 15% (Bummer trip...too much wind. Typically 40%)
Arizona - 5% (Cold calling new area.)

2. I've got a personal/group rule of not shooting at running coyotes. I used to shoot running coyotes, but found that your hit percentage goes way down and all the odds are in the coyotes favor...equalling wary coyotes. Now, there have been quite a few coyotes called in and not shot, due to this rule, but hit percentages are way up.

I believe we had 4 coyotes shot and not recovered and only 3 misses for the year. The non recovered coyotes are 100% blamed on bullet performance and have switched since then. The 45 grain Winchester hollowpoint in the .223 just doesn't do a good enough job, IMO. All shots at called coyotes were under 100 yards...typically 20 to 70 yards.

Good thread...Tony

Tony - I think your numbers on Idaho are way inflated and might be passed as bad info to other hunters. I can assure everybody that the coyote has been eradicated from the Gem State and there is no need for anybody to look any further. I will take it upon myself, at my own expense of course, to do timely spot checks of the situation and will provide updates as they arise.

I.O.N.Doyle, Too funny... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif You're correct...no need for anyone to head to Idaho...unless you want to pick up some sugar beets...no coyotes there...nope...nada...none. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dave3006, you can have your thread back now...Sorry.

Tony

Back