Does howling keep 'cats from coming in?

Lonnie

I've been howling before squalling this year and having pretty good luck with coyotes. I haven't called any cats but probably haven't stayed long enough. Does anyone have any opinions about how howling affects the cats?

If you want a cat badly i would definetely stop howling in good cat country. But as for coyotes i howl before i start choking the rabbit also but have had mixed results.
just my two cents.

------------------
"Aim small = miss small"

Lonnie,
Interesting you should bring up this subject. I just called in a nice bobcat for a client yesterday, but client could not see the cat. The cat sat within 30 yards of the caller in heavy brush, for about 20 minutes without moving. At this time, I knew he would not expose himself to my client, so I hit the female howl on my WT to see the reaction of the cat. There was no reaction at all. He just sat there looking around. I then played the male howl and got the same reaction. When I hit the Coyotes Fighting over Food, the cat just walked away in the same direction he had come in, in typical cat fashion. This may or may not have been a normal cat response, but it sure was interesting to watch at 20 yards away.
Steve

------------------
www.azpredatorhunts.com

At every stand I make I howl first thing. I wait for about 2 to 3 minutes and then start with distress sounds. On several occassions I have had bobcats beat the coyotes to the call. So do I think howling scares off cats? NO.

The attention span of a bobcat is not very long and by the time they here the distress sounds after the howls they have pretty much already forgotten of the howls they heard. This has been my experience anyway.

Several times I have been out calling and bobcats have came in and a moth or grasshopper jump in front of them and they forget about me for a minute until I do something really loud or erratic with the call to regain their attention.

So I just can't believe if you howl you will scare off any bobcats if you plan on going to a distress sound shortly after you have howled. I have seen it to many times to think differently.

------------------
Coyote Howler

[This message has been edited by Coyote Howler (edited 12-12-2001).]

Lonnie,
from what I gather from most, nothing will disturb a cat stand. In fact, I had a friend that was having a picnic lunch in the middle of prime predator country and the following took place: When he twisted the cork on the wine to pour a glass it made a little "squeak". Of course he thought nothing of it but all of a sudden, BAMM, Mr, Bobcat walks up and threatens the whole affair. Well, after making a quick dash to the truck, my buddy unloads his 38 at the cat missing each time. Nothing, just sits there like they always do and stares at the bottle of wine. Well, they had enough and packed up to move to a park with people, tables, parking lots and noise so they wouldn't be bothered again.
Now, I know you are not having a picnic lunch but don't be afraid to get a little exercise in or practice harmonica. And for goodness sakes, you can certainly blast a few howls out there without worry. :-D

Paul
(this is all fiction of course)

[This message has been edited by Predator Paul (edited 12-13-2001).]

Back