One less Virginia virgin

ARCOREY

Well, it finally happened this Saturday. Luck fell upon me and gave me a pretty pelted male coyote with no fur damage. My first shot at one and a great experience. I went out to a new farm I had recently acquired and talked with the farmer before heading into the field. He told me about a hair raising serenade he'd heard that week on the ridge above his barn described as "some kinda ritual or something like I've never heard". That was the same ridge I had scouted 2 weeks before. It had a saddle in the middle with a 30yd wide open electric fence row dividing the spine of the ridge. One side of the ridge was entangled with saw briars and rose thorns as well as other undergrowth, the other was a hardwood stand littered with wild grapevine and downfall. They had about 4" snow that morning, getting me pumped about doing some tracking. The snow was melting as more was falling. At times it was hard to see and very wet. I set my Rigor rabbit up about 60 yds from a cluster of tree trunks where I planned on standing. Unfortunately, or not, I forgot the base, so I set the foam bunny on top of the snow. For some reason my Cass Creek Nomad wouldn't reach the 60yds, think it was weak battteries /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif, so I moved it to about 30 yds out, then let everything calm down. After about half an hour I started with the cottontail distress. The crows lit in on me like it was feeding time. I had my back to the call watching the open area when I saw a streak go right by me at about 5 yds, it was a yote looking at my decoy while with his head turned away from me. I raised my contender carbine in 223 and picked him up in the scope running straight away from me through the hardwoods at about 20 yds, when he reached about 60 yds, I lip squeaked and stopped him broadside. I put the 45 gr. White box Winchester right in the boiler room, BANG,FLOP. I immediately started on my Lil' Dog with a series of injured yips, but no takers. The taxidermist now has my estimated 40 lb. male yote preparing it for a rug with head mount and mouth insert /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. The yote had beautiful fur and no exit wound, except for blood no visable entry either. I'm stoked for the next one now since I tracked 3 more in the snow that evening that crossed the same location while I was dragging him out.
Copyoftailgateyote.jpg
Copyofyotegun.jpg
hangingyote4.jpg

Sorry about the dates stamps, gotta figure out how to set them in the camera, they're off by one day. This coyote hunting is better when it works /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nice lookin Yote there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif The fevers in you man! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gifKeep floppin em /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Pretty coyote! Yeah, you are doomed. Won't be long and you will forget deer, turkey or whatever and all you will think breath and smell is coyotes. I agree with Steve, you are hooked for life. No such thing as withdrawals, you are predator hunter or dead. No middle ground! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Corey, I am proud to see a guy hunt coyotes and sport a big ol' # 8 in back window of his truck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Nice yot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Later /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3rd Alarm

3rd ALARM,
Don't forget the PSE sticker, it aggrevates all the Mathews and Parker guys. Most of them don't think PSE's exist /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

BTW, I forgot to mention in my post, I got paid $75 local county bounty to kill that yote and any others until April 30, after that they're only $50 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif. If I get better I could afford an FX3! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Boy, that's great. I wish we still had a bounty here in TN. It definitely makes it more fun when you actually get something! Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Man you can't beat that..........Doing something you love and being paid for it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Hey Corey,

Really nice job there. I like the looks of your Contender carbine too. Man, all that fun and getting paid to do it. Now that's the way it ought to be. We don't have a bounty here, but wouldn't matter if we did right now. I'm still trying to get my first one. Maybe luck will come my way soon. I keep trying. Anyway, congratulations.

Back