Bird Kites

Al Lux

A while back on either the Posse or Shade Tree, someone was telling about calling with bird kite decoys. If I remember right, they were literally slaughtering coyotes over the decoys? Also remember someone else posting a sight to buy the kites.
I guess i'm just wondering what ever happened to the idea, and did the kites really work?

[This message has been edited by Al Lux (edited 12-11-2001).]

Al--I bought the blue jay kite. I put it together and never tried to fly it. It looks like a lot of messin' around to get it to fly. I think you'd need some kind of a pole to hang it from, then you'd need a steady wind to keep it up in the air, etc., etc., etc.

If the kite would stay airborne, I can see some real advantages to having it flying around your electronic caller or maybe even out in front of someone with a mouth call. I need to find an old bamboo fishing pole and try it, but haven't gotten around to it.

We bought some of these to try with our goose decoys. Turned out to be such a pain to keep flying and not looking stupid that we don't even use them. If you know for sure you're going to have a steady (and I mean steady) breeze of at least 10 mph, I guess they would work, but you still have to hang them from something. That means driving a pole into the ground, getting the string untangled, etc. Seems like too much of a hassle to have something that probably won't stay flying anyway.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Al,
Good "recall" !! I totally forgot about that little scam. I fell for it to!
frown.gif

I bought one a took it out with Jason when he was here in Colorado if I remember. We called in Coyotes everytime we left it in the truck!

Who was it that started this little "Pirimid" thing. And who made the $$$$$$$
smile.gif

Paul

------------------
"watch your backside"

I started this kite decoy stuff.

Last spring I used the kite and it SEEMED to work. I though it was worth the effort of the added gear to take it out.

So I let it out on the net.

Then the coyotes got older and smarter now nothing.

So rant and rave at ME guys.

------------------
Kevin Bowler
Support NRA Vote Freedom First

I just read on the Varmint page at NAHC that the guys were painting the bird kites black.Seems the coyotes believe the crows have an animal to feed on and come in to take it away from them.They said it works great.One guy says he has been using this setup for years.Might be worth a try.
KYOTIKID

------------------
US PREDATOR REGULATORS
IOWA CHAPTER

Another I read about was that a fella taped a human baby crying and said he called in yotes with it.Guess anything that sounds hurt,frightened or upset works.Probably curiosity more than anything.

Since the experience with these kites seems to be that it takes a gale force wind to keep them up, I guess I fella could fasten the kite in a permanent fashion to the top of a slender pole and use it that way. Mine is still sitting on top of my gun cabinet and hasn't been tried. I have enough trouble packing in my gun and my slightly overweight body. I don't need a bunch of other stuff to bog me down.

I have mine sitting on the end of an old 20 foot fly rod.

It took me about an hour to tune mine to fly in the slightes breeze. You have to curle the wing tips just right and move the hook on the underside to the front. This will help in getting the kite to raise up in the littlest breeze.

I had taken mine out in the late sping and I had good resolts with the pups and the adults that were with them.

But it is a GREAT hassle to pack more out in hopes of it helping to bring in the coyotes.

Now I have never had a bobcat come in on the kite. Maybe they know somthing.

------------------
Kevin Bowler
Support NRA Vote Freedom First

Once in a while I will stop at the grocery store on the way home and buy one of those Over-the-Hill Black heluim baloons to take out calling the next day. Next I rip off of a 2 foot section of Halloween black crepe paper and tape it to the balloon to blow around. I tie a large steel washer to the string and throw it out in front of me a few yards. Very easy setup. No hassels and cheap. I call it a disposable decoy (except the washer). It works OK and acts as a deterrent just like a feather or stuffed rabbit does. You can adjust the length of the string very easy.

If the wind gets to bouncing the balloon all over the place then it's too windy to be out calling so it makes for great sport to set it out at 75 yards and take turns betting on who can pop it.

------------------
Blow A Rhino

Back