Where to get acid for pickling solution?

GeorgiaJoe

In the "Tanning Process 101" by Jim it says to make a pickling solution with a very low ph(acid solution). I don't have access to get comercial tanning supplies. Is there a common (household, hardware store,or auto parts) source that someone knows will work well?
GAJoe

http://www.rittelsupplies.net/

No reason to use anything but the good stuff. Saftee acid along with salt is what you use to pickle. You will need a way to monitor the PH. do you have tanning chemicals and oil? Rittel's eztan is easy to use and consistently gives a good result.

You could use white vinegar if you had to. It's a common pickling agent for food also and has a very low PH level.

I HAVE used it as a buffering agent years ago but I can't imagine trying to get that smell out of the skins if it was used exclusively.

You can buy everything you need and several that you don't through any taxidermy supply company.

[*]Such As;
[*] Wasco
[*] Jonas Supply
[*] McKenzie Supply
[*] Rhineharts
[*] VanDykes
[/list]

If you have a Lowe's you can use some Dap wood bleach, it is straight oxalic acid. I used 1 oz. by weight to 1 gal. of water with 1 lb. of salt. Ph is around 1.5. Worked fine for me and it's strong and doesn't lose acidity through the whole pickling process. The citric acid is way to week for the hard water we have here, even with the softner on my house.

Well the safest way is to dilute it in alot of water, then if you were being really good you could take it to the council dump and they can dispose of it, or, what I do, take it somwhere well clear of any water sources, dig a hole and tip it in and fill in the hole. It might not sound very enviro. friendly, but if you dilute the solution enough, and bury it, the ground will filter it out better than any man made filtration system.

Back