Shotgun barrel length effect on effective range

lanole

Being a rifleman, my knowledge of shotguns is limited. I hunt in south central Alabama where some predator situations warrant a scattergun. I bought a Remington 1187 3" in new MOBU camo. It has a 28" barrel. I was planning on getting a 21" barrel to turkey hunt with. What can I expect as far as range reduction with the shorter barrel? Would it be suitable for coyotes and gobblers at 40 yards or so? I'm using the Kick's GT choke (.660).

Don't worry about range with a 21 inch barrel, shotguns are not anything like a rifled barrel for velocities. Just use the appropriate choke for your distances and size of game/shot and you'll do just fine with a 21" tube. Longer barrels swing better when it comes to follow through.
Short barreled shotguns work just as well in the field as long barrel do to kill game. Shotgun powder is usually all done within the first 20 inches. Things may be slightly different using 3.5" mags.

Shotguns and rifles, are apples and oranges. Best analogy I can come up with, is the story of two old grizzled goose hunters sitting in a cold, wet blind, on a frosty morning.
One ole boy has a new 36 inch barrel shotgun he just purchased, He grins and asks his buddy...." you know how much farther my 36 inch barreled Long Tom will throw a load of shot than your ole 30 inch gun"?.....his buddy scratches his ear nad mumbles...."yeah, I do....about six inches I believe"............and the guy is right!

Thanks for the info guys. I haven't been able to find a 24" in camo for my gun. That was my original plan. I found the 21" in camo at brownell's fairly reasonable. With the extened Kick's choke it will be right at 23" or so. I have samples of just about every 2 3/4" and 3" Turkey load put out by Win, Fed, and Rem (4, 5, 6, and 4x6). I can't justify 3 1/2" guns to my poor little shoulders. Just have to shoot it when it gets here to see what it likes I guess. If it won't pattern, would I need to open up the constriction a little by going to a .665 or larger choke? Thanks again for all the advice/opinions.

How about Cylinder Bore? I have an extra barrel for an 870(19")that I used as a self defense gun in combo with a hand grip. Ha! I never thought about using it on a coyote. Would spread fast I'm afraid.

Pack

I shoot a 22" Mossberg w/.640 choke for 'yotes. (Using #2 2.75 Federal shells)
I still have decent patterns out to 50+.
But this is only MY gun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif...it seems each gun/choke/load patterns different. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

For 15 years, I used an Ithaca #37DSPS. Cylinder-bore, 20"/factory slug sights, 8 round mag. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
Shot #4 buck out of it. Killed LOTS of 'yotes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif....but past 35 yards they ran thru the holes, unless you lead 'em 12"-24". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[Disclaimer: the coyotes shot during those years /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif...were shot bouncing across pastures /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif in a speeding truck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif...at targets moving in "warp"] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Quote:
How about Cylinder Bore? I have an extra barrel for an 870(19")that I used as a self defense gun in combo with a hand grip. Ha! I never thought about using it on a coyote. Would spread fast I'm afraid.

Pack

I have a Mossberg "tactical" with a cylinder bore 18 1/2" barrel. It works well on coyotes with #2 buck when I hunt heavy cover. Even 40YDS is a stretch, but anything over that I use a rifle anyway.

I have a winchester 1300 with a short slug barrel and it patterns good with a turkey choke tube w/ #4 copper plated.

Hopefully you still have that Ithaca, I hear those 8-rounders are pretty hard to come by.

I shoot a 28" Rem. Super Mag and love it. Great gun. I selected the 28" as this is my one and only shotgun, so it has to do triple duty.

I shoot a Mossberg 835 with a 24" Accuchoke bbl.
I don't believe the barrel length is a big concern with shotguns.
They are more affected by choke selection than bbl. length.
The shorter bbls. are louder, especially on the trap range for the people standing around you.
The energy per pellet is small and the effect of bbl.length does not affect velocity nearly as much as a rifle.
I'm sure someone will dispute this, and it's just my opinion, so use it as you wish.

Three things I've found that a long shotgun barrel does for me.
1. Longer sighting plane for pass shooting.
2. Adds weight and reduces felt recoil.
3. Moves the muzzel blast further away from my ears.
4. Hangs up in tight manuvers.
5. Looks like a crane boom when sighting on stand and usually betrays my position. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

The 21" barrel will give quicker sight picture than the 28" barrel for close quarter shots and turkey's. Depending on the shot size and payload not even all full chokes and turkey chokes shoot the same. The real test is done on the pattern board as some find the improved modified suits the load/pattern combo.

I always order my chokes in degree of constriction vs. IC, mod, full or super full so I know how to apply each choke to hunting situation.

Even just a little variance of 3 to 5 thousandths in a choke does vary effective range and pattern on given payloads.

Don't mean to hi jack this thread but does anyone know if you can put a choke on a mossberg 590 and what that would involve?

I have a mossberg 590 20" barrel that I have tried to buy a longer barrel for to use for birds and coyotes but you can't buy longer barrels for them. Now that I know all it probably needs is a choke I was thinking of getting a choke installed but I suppose I would need a smith to tap it or what not for a choke tube. Unless you guys have a better idea? I was looking for barrels for it 20" that already have the choke in it but can't find any.

Thanks FalFire but it doesn't look like that barrel accepts a choke either. I already have that barrel on the gun.... I believe.

Cruizin, Mossberg does not produce a screw choke barrel or other choked barrels for the 590. You can have the barrel fitted with screw in choke tubes. Possibly you have a gunsmith locally that does choke installations, This involves threading the barrel. Since your gun is a Mossberg 500 series I would want it to be compatible with the 500 series tubes. This will give a greater selection on the market. If you don't have a competent gunsmith in your area you can ship your barrel to several shops that will provide this service.

Back