Mountain Lion Calling Tips?

cwbycrshr

I'm sure somebody has posted this. Is thier any good publications, web sites, hints, video's, etc. on calling mountain lions. I have gotten lucky once calling bobcats, but no shot, in W. Texas. Would really appreciate any input.
IE Call type, length of sequences, set up distance, use of bait, decoys, etc.....
Thanks

There's not alot of information out there. The guys who really know what they're doing are pretty tight lipped. I've never seen a video on it, although I've researched and heard that alot of the best Cougar callers were "working on it." Nothing that I've found so far.

As to tips and etc, there's TONS of theories. Every caller who's seen or shot a longtail has points they just know were the key to success. One thing that I've found is very consistent in the tips and tricks of the guys who have shot them, you gotta work HARD at it. To get where the animal is, when the animal has a 100 square mile range, and can move 50 miles in one night, either extreme luck, or huge work.

Hope nobody in the house will yell at you for sitting in front of the computer for hours and hours! Learn how to run the search feature here, and search and read till your eyes fall out! There's lots of little pointers here and there.

One name really stands out ......... Steve Craig. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

I have a neigbor who gives me his old hunting mags. .... Recently, I was perusing through them and found Craig's interview in Predator Hunting mag. (2004-2005). For an aspiring lion hunter this piece is timeless.

Now it won't make you into a lion hunter by itself but in there he's giving more keys to the castle than the average bear would with his level of achievement.

And then to really "get there" there is the schooling he gives. You can't begrudge him his just deserts and at the cost of an average houndhunt you get a coug AND some very specialized knowledge .... namely "those keys"!

Also, look back here in Pred. Masters for as far as he's been here and see what he says ..... take notes. You could try e-mailing him but he's busier than ........ He did e-mail me when we lost cattle to lion and was very helpful ..... so you never know.

Craig mentions a book but as I read here it's been temporarily shelved for a video. One or both would be nice.

Maybe somebody else here knows if either are out yet???

Three 44s

Last edited:
Back