Warne or Burris Signature mounting system?

chrisC az

I have a Ruger 77/22 hornet, and a Burris 4-12X33 compact scope i want to put on it. I am choosing between the Warne (QD)mounts or Burris Signature rings on a Weaver base. I hear with the signature setup you do not have to lap rings, but what about the Warne mounts and/or rings? Do they need to be lapped, and if so how do you lap rings that are mounted verically? Which setup would you guys prefer? I really wanted to get the Warne setup for its quick detachable feature.

Well first off, and this might get some riled up, I don't believe one has to lap quality rings. I've owned both Warne, Burris Sig, and Leupold rings and have installed them without lapping and without problems. The Burris inserts are neat and work well, but I've only used them for the purpose of adding MOA's to my elevation by using the different sizes. The Warne rings I own are "quick detach", but still require a screwdriver to remove them...go figure. They are still a well made product, though. With a weaver base though, I would recommend Leupold QRW rings. Probably the best quick detach there is. In MHO.

Thanks Ballistic_trep,

i forgot to mention that i also have the factory ruger rings that came with the rifle. Just wondering are these any good?

I have the Leupold dual Dovetail Rings on both my Win 70. They work great no rear screw to worry about.

I also have Warne QR rings on steel bases on a Marlin Guide Gun and Knight MK 85 Muzzleloader, work great, and keep their zero.

I would go with the Warne QD rings and bases, they are the best for the money and a step up over the Leupold QD. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I agree wiyh clayman, use the Ruger rings unless you just gotta have detatchable. Those Ruger rings are super strong.
Good luck,

Charlie

I have lapped an awful lot of rings on rifles and pistols over the years and it is extremely rare to see a set that do not need at least some lapping. And the only way to tell if they need lapping is to lap them and look at the pattern.

Jack

Jack is right, I have yet to see a set of rings that didn't need a touch up lap. If it was any other gun but a Ruger I would say go with the Signatures. What you have is as solid as they come. Most of my guns are now wearing Sigs. Love those inserts, they grip a scope well and won't mark it. If you have elevation problems, run out of scope adjustment, you can change out the plastic inserts.

Back