Anyone ever shoot a triple??

gil_wy

It only happened to me once about 3 years ago.....I wanted to take a coyote with my bow and brought my rifle along "just in case" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif . Well I used pup yips and had 3 dogs come in on the trot. One passed me and I had no shot but the other stopped at 25 yards and I put an arrow through his neck. The other 2 bolted and I grabbed 22-250. One stopped just before going over the hill and I busted him. The other coyote never quit running and as he ran off the point of the ridge onto a flat, I threw a hail mary at him ended up with a perfect texas heart shot @ 375 yards (PURE luck, I might add). BTW I haven't even killed a double since. Anyone else get that lucky?

shot my first triple 3 weeks ago .was out stalking deer and was not having much luck so tried the fox whistle and within 10 second had three foxes charging at me shot them all one after the other as they came down a woodlannd ride.they were litterly all piled up on top of each other they followed the first ones scent and all stoped at the same spot to look at the dead one infront of them.

The first time I tried calling on my own. Called in three young dogs that showed up one at a time about 10 seconds apart, and got 'em all with a NEF .223, one at 5 yards, one at 15 yards, and one at 50 yards. What a rush!!!

[qb]You mean they aren't???? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif [/qb][/QUOTE]

Like many things in hunting triples either come easy or they don't come at all! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif That sounds like a country song doesn't it? :rolleyes: It may be a while before the next "Easy" one comes along! Especially with a single shot!
Dogleg

Do I get the "booby" prize for calling in four on one stand and missing all of them? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rustydog! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hey, Rustydog, we collected one of 'em! It's a team effort, remember?

That was a fun hunt, but next time I've gotta wear my snow camo. Remember the two that busted us at about 600 yards because we looked like two sasquatches lumbering through the snow. And sure enough, they went right down through where we had set up a half-hour earlier. Coyotes can be sooooo cruel. LOL

Daybreak

Hey dog leg, Can you direct me to some good calling in Saskatch were a guy can get permission and have some of those big wooly white Canada dogs run him over?

Originally posted by yotcalr:
[qb]Hey dog leg, Can you direct me to some good calling in Saskatch were a guy can get permission and have some of those big wooly white Canada dogs run him over?[/qb]
As of this year there is no legal way for a non-resident to hunt coyotes in Saskatchewan. There was a non resident license for a little while, but that is gone now, mostly for lack of interest,and partly because a few non-resident poachers thought that whitetail were included on that tag! :rolleyes: It is too bad really, as we don't need a license and the season never closes.
This may seem strange to some but nobody here cares about coyotes. Permission is pretty much automatic, but so is the weird look that comes with it. Serious coyotes hunters are rare and usually regarded as a little strange by their friends, family and neighbors! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I checked out the legalities after Redfrog asked about it.The answers varied from "who would want to", "to why buy a licence?" And of course that nobody wanted the license when they offered it!
Why don't you give Redfrog a call. Although I don't know him personally, I am familiar with his area and it is crawling with coyotes also. Alberta allows the non-resident hunting with a guide. If you don't get 5 or 6 a day there you aren't trying very hard. No electronic callers in Alberta though. Nobody gives a crap about coyotes there either!You should do OK there, even if you have to bring him along! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
BTW I'm stalled out at 50 dogs since June, Elk, whitetail and moose and birds have been getting most of my spare time since September. Come to think of it, that may be why nobody cares about coyotes? Come December watch out!
Dogleg

I was under the impression that we could buy a tag up in your country but it was only good for two coyotes! I had some friends go up there goose hunting and i believe that is what they did, but i guess that could have been before the Coyote/whitetail cross incident happened too :rolleyes:

It was 4 coyotes on the license, and that is gone now.As for the cross breeding it isn't that different than the jackalopes from farther south, and the little known and deadly Saber- toothed Wolfoose of the North. I'm scared to leave the house at times.
Dogleg

I had one triple years ago hunting alone with my 25-06. I have had many, many chances since but have only been able to get two of the bunch.

I had my triple before I ever got my first double!

Strange.

Thanks for the info dogleg, it's a shame we wanted to get some of those pretty yotes on video is there guys who guide for coyotes or can we buy him a six pack and have him sit in the truck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

My second successful set-up was a triple. Something like that could permanently warp a guy. Hypothetically speaking of course.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Dogleg

In the spring of 02 I held off on a 400 yard standing shot that would have given me a triple. Considering the luck I was having at the time, I probably would have made that shot.

One of many I wish I could have back. But aint that how it goes?

Brad

Yep.
Called in and killed a threesome yesterday morning.
Older male and female and a yearling male.
Older couple came in from the south, youngin' came in from the north. All in less than 7 minutes.

Couple weeks ago me an Wally, (huntin' buddy of 25 years) called in 4 coyote at 1 stand an kilt 3 of them. They all came in 1 at a time, over a 10 minute time frame. Figure that one out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
John

Back