Plywood Stretchers

bobcatmatt

I was just wondering about the edges on 1/2 inch plywood stretchers for coon. Should I use the router on the edges or just sand them down with the orbital sander? Also they seem alittle flimsy anyone how any input?

Thanks
Matt

Never used em, but why not sand them and then put something over the edges. Like maybe a length of split on one side, plastic tubing.
I'm thinking it's going to want to snag, where a regular board stretcher your not sanging against so much cross grain.

Jim's on the money with the snagging. There's a reason why major auction houses promote the use of pine stretchers. They are just so much easier to work with. You MAY find that after you have turned your yote fur side out and leave it on for 2 or 3 days, hauling it back off may be more of a chore with a plywood stretcher. A smooth rounded edge pine stretcher, especially after it's been "seasoned" a bit, is a piece of cake. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I personally would not recommend plywood stretchers. They are laminated wood ... and can easily splinter on the edge when removing the stretched pelt. This splinter can rip the pelt and make an otherwise good money pelt, worthless.

I have never used plywood for stretchers and agree with the points made which is enough to keep me from ever even trying them.

Lately I have been tanning most of what I catch, but I grew up using pine boards. I do have wire stretchers which I have used, but there is a risk using wire when selling fur [I think]. Others that are currently selling may be able to comment here, but I think fur grading is based on specific width & length measurements in addition to quality. Using wood stretchers, you can best ensure that your dried fur conforms to those specs and get the max value. With wire you have give and take going on between width & length depending on how firm you pull down, so you might end up a little off the standards and possibly loose some on price.

I will probably sell some otter raw next season and my current intent is to use pine boards exclusively for them.

Very true. The shortest length on the back determines the size. With boards you can tack them straight across. I sand my plywood smooth, haven't torn any up yet.

Back