17HMR vs 22MAG - Lets end the debate

Well I've had both and used both on coyotes and prefer the 22 mag. I'd had run-offs with both calibres but the times I've had a "clean", drop dead, one shot kill it was with the 22 mag. I really prefer a centerfire.

This debate can never end because:

Who will do the testing? If it's a WMR guy then someone in the HMR crowd will cry foul. If it's an HMR guy then someone in the WMR crowd will cry foul. There is no way to end a debate when there is no outside affiliation to do an unbiased test. Even if it were done by an unbiased outside source somebody from one camp or another would ,, cry foul. JMT

That aint no lie!! 17 v. 22 will always be a dividing point for rimfire shooters. Split the diffrence. Buy BOTH and decide yourself. I love them both and if I can make up some balistisc gell I will do a comparsion and video it. then if I can post it here we will have at least one answer. Would even be a great idea if several people were to do there own tests and post results. It would prove interesting any way

what about moly-coated bullets?
what if you didn't properly break-in your barrel first?
what if the Loch Ness Monster was an elephant?
what if you accidntally shoot a wolf with the 17HMR?

and for crying, stinking, laughing out loud.......
which round would you use to stop a rampaging PIT BULL?

Todd.... your last three questions are actually solved by choosing the right hunting guide versus choosing between 17 HMR and 22 Mag.... ALWAYS hire a fat, slow guide...then you don't have to worry about the elephant, wolf or pit bull, all you have to do is out-run the guide. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

I own them both. I use a 243 for yotes. I've used both for squirrels to coon. Only used the 17 once on coon because I stretch and dry. A head shot will go through the skull and leave a 3 in. exit hole emptying the brain cavity. I would say in a life or death situation a coyote popped in the head at 50 yds wouldn't know what hit him.

Forget the 17HMR's and 22mags,let's just go to .338's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

I would say all the "tests" have been done.

22 Mag- trappers gun
17 Hmr- bench gun
22 lr- off hand fun gun

I like them all but, probably the 22lr the best.

I did not shoot any coyotes with the 17hmr, because it had enough problems anchoring Woodchucks. In my experiance the either of the mags make fine off hand 3 position varmint & fox calibers. When you add bi-pods and big scopes and start shooting them past 100 yards, the result is woumded critters, slow death. At that range the accuracy differance between the 17hmr and mag don't matter. The mag is certainly "varmint moa" at that range.

For woodchuck size varmints your gaining about double the range of a 22lr for kill power. Sounds like a lot......."double" but it's only 50-60 yards. I like a 22lr for walking varmint off hand / 3 position. Most all of them will shoot 1" and under at 50 yards (varmint moa) and kill about the same as the mags do at 100 yards. And there fun.

If I ever buy another mag/hmr it would likely be set up just for off hand varmints in a sporter weight, 4 x fixed or 3-9 scope,shooting sling,etc; which tends to keep you with in it's kill range. Mag,hmr or lr I have come to favor the semi auto for off hand varmints. Little loss in accuracy but, still easy "varmint moa" at that range, more fun, follow up shots,etc. Or maybe a 17hmr just for bench.

If money was no issue a well balanced Volguartsen semi auto in sporter weight, 17hmr, with a quality 3-9 varible compact scope would be ideal for off hand varmints.

That would be the ideal off hand/ 3 position rim fire varmint/fox rifle IMO............that would be special /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Neither one are worth a lick for coyote hunting, but after using both, I would take the HMR, it wacks coyotes with a bit more authority than the maggie does.

SO,HAVE WE SETTLED THIS YET? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

17 HMR is awesome on close-in gators, but doesn't expand well at long range. I prefer the mag for LR reptiles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

YOU THE MAN..... CRANK ON /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

17m2 difinatly for pennsylvania gators! without a doubt. out to 300 yards maybe 350 if ya dope the wind good. if they are close in (within 100 yards) then the buck knife comes out baby! and i jig em' with that.
lets ask the ".17 fans" for a test they will aprove.we will get several opinions then have the ".17s arnt big enough" agree on one of those. then when everyone agrees we will have several(as in more than 1) "volunteers" who can properly document the findings and provide them to this forum actualy do the tests.
i believe that the problem most people have with the .17s is they wont penatrate enough(splash effect) so i believe that the testing should include more than just balistic geliton. something outside to simulate a thin hide and small ribs like that of a coyote.
what do you all think of this?

I think it's like politics & religion & will never go away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif Both rds are extremely fun to shoot & folks have taken coyotes with both. Ethically taken coyotes. As in the animal didn't go far & was recovered. I thnik we can all agree there are runoffs from 22cal CF's also. So that would/could make them ineffective as well. The M2 has taken coyotes too. Humanely. Why aren't the bowhunters told their weapon of choice is ineffective. Within their designed elements both the WMR & the HMR are effective. We are the ones that can't leave well enough alone. It's our nature (shooters/hunters),, almost obligation,, to wring everything out of our equipment that we possibly can. Each individual will get different results from the same equipment. It's because we are all different. This world would really suck without debate & experimentation. The only way to decide which one is better is to take them out & shoot them & decide for ourselves. These threads are counter productive to this board & should be left over at rfc where posts can be deleted by anybody that doesn't agree with whats being said there. This is about as close to trolling as it gets. So go ahead & flood my mailbox here because I'm done with this trolling,, I mean debate,, on every board I visit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Good post, Glen..../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

If it will end this monotonous, bi-weekly, ad nauseum that is constantly here on this topic, I will personaly nominate you for a Nobel Peace Prize......if someone can tell me who to contact...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

-BCB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Back