Ky-Kotee hunting

bobcat

Yesterday was a beautiful day, with little wind and the temprature ranged from 50-60 degrees. In the previous weeks we had gotten a little snow, so I figured the coyotes must be getting hungry.

As I got ready to go, Kenzington, my daughter asked "Daddy goin Ky-Kotee huntin". She is three and can't quite pronounce coyote. I could tell she really wanted to go, and I have taken her a few times before. Of course she is pretty restless. But, she does suprisingly well for a three year old. I can count on her to stay still without talking for about 7-10 minutes.

So, I took her. The first stand we called for about 10-15 minutes and saw nothing. But, she loved it. We were close to the creek and other wildlife. She would just look up and smile. On the second stand we sat for about 5-6 minutes before she wanted to try her hand at the call. I generally use a Tally-ho, which she can get some noise out of, but not much. On the third stand it was really trying her patience. I decided to all it a night after about 7 minutes. That last stand I had us sitting in some pretty thick cover, and when we stood up a coyote ran off. She saw just the tail end, but was excited.

I always know my chances of calling a coyote in are slim to none. But, to see her out having fun is great. Its amazing that 3 year olds look through a face net can be better that calling anything in.

bobcat

Great story bobcat!!! These are times you and your little daughter will never forget. Precious days to cherish forever. I really admire you for not being selfish and going out alone. You shared a great moment with that little daughter. Good going Dad
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Silverfox (edited 12-10-2001).]

Bobcat, you just gave me what I needed to take my three year old daughter out calling with me. My wife has always said she was to young, but I have never thought she was. Every time I go she asks if she can go with and next time I am going to let her, if its not to cold.

------------------
Cory

I ALWAYS WONDERED IF IT WOULD BE GOOD TO BRING MY 6 YR OLD WITH COYOTE HUNTING. IF IT WORKS FOR YOU I MIGHT HAVE TO TRY IT! HEY CORY B. FROM CLARA CITY, DO YOU HUNT IN THE VALLY OR UP ON TOP MOST OF THE TIME?

Hey Bobcat. My son got his 1st coyote saturday night. Your story reminded me of when he was 1 and I took him camping. The coyotes were really howling close to us that night and he kept crawling up in my lap saying,"Daddy I keered." I would ask him what he was scared of and he would say,"Kotees" What great memories and I'm so glad to have him as a partner today. Those kids are more important than any harvests. Hope you get a hunting partner out of this deal. Lonnie

RB, usually up aroung Clara City, and alot around the NewLondon-Spicer area. But I would love to start hunting in the valley area. I hope to get out there sometime this year and start lining up some places for some full moon hunts. Do you do alot of hunting in the river bottom area?

------------------
Cory

Back