Ruger No. 1 Trigger Question?

The receesed safety is cosmetic and funtional. Your cleaning rod won't drag on it if your forget to put the saety in the on position and in cold weather hunting with gloves your will not activate the safety accidently. Remember Ruger changed the safety fron the old Ruger 77R tang safety to the 77mkII wing safety (m-70 style) to reduce it's liabilty for accidental discharges.

I REALLY appericate the information, ordered the Kepplnger. Let's not start a FLAME war about Savage and Ruger. This was/is a Ruger No. 1 question and we might oughta keep it that way afore the Mod's zap all of us!

Dear Mark,

I agree...."hogin204" is my brother who just loves to #*/
me for my rifle choice of Ruger #1's. The truth is his first ever center fire hog kills last spring were with my #1 in 22/250. 3 kills in 3 minutes out to 250 yards. I told him to buy the Savage model 12 low profile as his first groundhog gun and its a .25 tack driver. I am still playing with the bedding on my Ruger #1V in 204. which is driving me crazy and he keeps reminging me of this.

Ditto MarkA

We're brothers, he knows his Ruger # 1's like I know Winchester Model 12's. That rifle is just giving me a lot to work with and that don't happen very often as he can gets anything to shoot well

Hey Guys, I appreciate the info there about the # 1.

Hoginator204, you're a man of class, I can see. The #1 IS a real classic, nice to look at, own, and shoot. I have three in my gun rack and they seem to just draw the eye so to speak when looking at the collection.

I bought this gun used, but it is truly in mint condition. The only problem is that it won't shoot worth a hoot. I have another #1 in a 218 Bee and it's a tack driver if ever there was one. I had the Moyer's trigger installed on this one.

My understanding about #1's is that some will shoot and others won't. But, they can be made to shoot and that's what I'm looking for.

I appreciate everyone's advice and I plan to make some contacts to see how much the cost might be and exactly what they will do to accurize it.

Good Shooting to all.

Forgive me if I'm not following along. Was a Hicks accurizer already suggested? Inexpensive, and should do the trick---2MG

2much: For my #1V the Hicks is not required. It shots lights out, and on my rabbit rounds tonight it shot minute of rabbit repeatdly! The Varmints seem to be more accurate without the quarter rib.

Dear 6mm06,

Was in my local on Tuesday and in the rack was a Ruger #1B in 243 Win with a 6 digit serial number. I researched the serial number and it was made in 1969. This rifle is in 100% condition like it just left the factory. The asking price is $750.00 including a vintage Redfield 10 X scope.
The butstock is XXX fancy wood. I called Jay with the
Ruger Gun Collectors ASSN. and he is researching the serial number cut off for the Douglas barreled Ruger #1's. I plan to measure the barrels throat length on Saturday.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

hoginator204,

Sounds like a nice rifle. I like the 1B's. The wood on #1's in general seem to be among the best that Ruger uses. I don't think I've ever seen a #1 with a plane jane stock. They are all beautiful and some are even more so than others.

2muchgun, I've read about the Hick's accurizer and I notice that EABCO.com installs them with their rebarrling jobs as standard procedure. One other interesting thing they do is replace the quarter rib with a Weaver type base. They claim it causes less stress to the barrel. I called EABCO and talked to Mr. Brown (the owner I guess). He would not tell me what kind of barrel they use now other than to say it's an EABCO barrel. They used to advertise the Shileans as the ones they use. Now I don't know. The cost of the whole project, with a stainless barrel, is a little less than $500. The only drawback for me right now in sending it to EABCO is that their list of available calibers is somewhat limited. They advertise that they only barrel calibers that will shoot accurately, and they don't do magnums.

If anyone has experience with EABCO's #1 rebarrling service, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks, and Good Shooting.

I'm not sure what kind of barrels Eabco uses either. Could possibly be Douglas. Many don't know it, but a lot of factory #1's used to have Douglas barrels on them---2MG

EABCO, accuracy and the 1/4 rib. That is exactly the reference I was making to the 1V's with their Ruger Ring bases and NO 1/4 rib. All of our knowledgeable local folks are convinced that the 1/4 rid does NOTHING for accuracy and in fact may detract from accuracy.

Dear Mark,

I have heard and read the same thing on the Ruger #1 quarter rib. I believe this has some merit but is not
universal to every Ruger #1. One concern with the Quarter rib is having it installed at the factory squared to the Barrel. The steel in the quarter rib heats up during
extensive shooting and that causes it to move. Also the screw holes for the quarter rib as in all rifle bases are larger than the screw which can particapate movement of the quarter rib as well as a typical leopld base.

Back