How to setup crow decoys?

Deerhunter17

Hi,
I was wondering how do you guys set up your crow decoys? Is there any type of pattern? How far away do you space the decoys?

Thanks for the help!

Hi!

I usually set up my owl deek on a high perch with a cloth crow deek hanging from it's claws. I put the rest of my crow deeks scattered from 5 to yards from the owl (9-12 crows). Then I put a couple crow deeks in nearby low tree branches. I camo my speaker with mesh, and play out the speaker wire to my hiding spot. Keep the sun behind you if possible. Camo everything you have, even your shotgun. Gloves and headnet too. Get as much cover as you can, and leave a 'window' to shoot out of. Play the crow and owl fight, crow distress, or excited crow, and get ready.

Sit still until you pull up to shoot. They see everything. Only move your eyeballs, and camo camo camo.

Hope this helps; I busted 72 of 'em last year with this set up at different spots in southeast Ohio.

Rudy

If I'm setting up in a feeding set I put 2 or 3 in the trees as high as I can get for sentries, the rest are put in small family groups on the ground fairly close together, couple of feet apart.

On fight set-ups, the owl goes on the ground in the open, I put a dek laying at his feet like a fresh kill. The deks are placed as high in the surrounding trees as I can get them. A painters extension pole works great for this.

I rarely set deks anymore unless I'm setting up for a feeding set. Most of the time if I'm using a fight set I'm running and gunning and deks just take up too much time.

Nick T

I am hunting them on flyways in the winter months. This way you get near continous action for several hours. That being the case the decoy set up is not a critical component for success. I usually place an owl near the top of a small pine tree and 7 or 8 crows on the ground near the owl with one or two in the pine trees. This is like pass shooting as wave after wave of crows come through and you just need them to descend into shotgun range. You can usually get 2 or 3 of each group that passes through. I have used a motion crow decoy but so far am not convinced that it brings them down any lower. usually they concentrate on the owl so you want to be set up nearby.

Back